Question Wifi usb Adapter (Edimax AC1750) Spotty 5g Connection and Sometimes Won't connect

May 3, 2019
Hey So i Bought a Edimax AC 1750 as a moved houses and no longer can run an Ethernet cable. But I am running into some rather weird problems

First of all I have 3 out of 4 bars, I am about 30 feet away from the router with 1-2 walls in between. I am currently waiting on an ordered USB 3.0 Extension cable to get away from my case a bit.

Now for the problems

Often times I will get a yellow triangle in the tray, with a secured, no internet description. Last night trying to game I was dropping connection every 15 seconds, but in the tray it would still show a connection for the majority, but web pages would not load. Then it would fully disconnect, then briefly the wireless adapter would turn back into a LAN symbol. Then upon re connection the same yellow triangle, until a real connection that would be usable for a bout 15 seconds. It seemed to disconnect almost any time i tried to load a web page, video, or connect to a gaming service.

Oddly enough earlier in the day, while still extremely spotty it was more stable, still getting slower speeds but held a connection better.

This morning I tried connecting and it simply wouldn't connect. I connected to the 2.4ghz and got great speeds and what appeared to be stable connection. I downloaded new drivers. Waited a bit, and connected back to the 5G.

A few other things I have already tried
Changing power options for adapter to maximum performance

Disabling LAN- but when trying other fixes, such as Ipconfig /renew as i read that is something to try, i got an error about how it can't because the Local Area Network 15 and 16 are disconnected. I can retry this and post the actual response, but I think it would be best if someone walked me through what commands to use in what order as Command Prompt is a little out of my league.

I have also power cycled my router.

Earlier network troubleshooter gave me "The default Gateway could not be located" or something along those lines, Currently the connection actually seems okay, but i have my doubts it will stay this way. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

That is a USB based WiFi Card. They are vastly inferior. Most try to comply with the USB 2.0 spec. to ensure compatibility. That's a whole whopping .5 amps @ 5V. In otherwords, 2.5 Watts which is a pittance compared to what it is capable of 4 Watts per channel (Max radiation pattern after adjustment and conversion). And the more antennas you have, the more that 2.5 Watts power has to be dived up.

May 3, 2019
This one is USB 3.0, but either way that doesn't change the fact that it isn't performing correctly, yes Ethernet is better, but compared to PCI and even power line adapters, a 5ghz USB adapter is supposedly on par or superior. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

May 3, 2019
To wrap this thread up, I tried a USB 2.0 port on the front of my case, which actually cleared up my issues. I tried an extension to the USB 3.0 port on the back and still drops connection. I get 100mbits+ on USB 2.0 so I suppose its not a real issue, just a small let down that the adapter isn't performing 100%