[SOLVED] WiFi v Ethernet Asus Nt-66u

Mar 22, 2019
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have a garden office (man cave) and the WiFi from my ASUs nt66u doesn’t really cut it - kept dropping out but I was getting 10-20mbps down and 6 up using Ookla Speedtest...

So I got fed up and have run a 50m cat6 cable from the router to my PC. Now when I try and copy files between my son’s laptop I’ve manually timed the connection at @100mbps. However, when I run Ookla Speedtest, I only get 1mbps down and 1 up with the wired connection and also, the port light doesn’t light up on the router.

I’ve swapped out everything except the router and the cable, can anyone explain the lack of the light on the router (tried all four ports and they work with another cat6 cable but it’s only a metre long). And why Speedtest is showing such low numbers?

Thanks, Nick

Solution
  1. when using cable, u should DISABLE WIFI.
  2. If it works fine with your 1m cable and not the 50m definitely bad cable. Lots of FAKE cables floating around.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have any firmware updates pending on the router? Likewise, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Are you also on the latest drivers for your Ethernet port? Since you were on WiFi prior, how were you paired to the router? WiFi adapter's make and model?

Mar 22, 2019
Do you have any firmware updates pending on the router? Likewise, are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Are you also on the latest drivers for your Ethernet port? Since you were on WiFi prior, how were you paired to the router? WiFi adapter's make and model?

Hiya, thank you for replying. There are no firmware updates pending on the router. The Bios is up to date on my personal laptop with all the latest drivers. I can’t comment on the work laptop as it’s locked down and I have no access to Bios or device drivers.

I’m not sure what you mean as to how I was paired over WiFi (I just clicked on the WiFi and put in the Wps key).

The WiFi adapter on my laptop is an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260

The Ethernet card is a Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller