Wifi won't work with out an ethernet cable

Christie330

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
I got my Toshiba laptop 2 years ago. Everything was working fine and some time ago my computer had a virus. I had to completety wipe out my computer to get it off. When I did, thats when my wifi stopped working. It has a little picture in the bottom bar that had a computer and a red X over it. I got an ethernet cable but I don't want to lug around a large cable just for wifi. When i take out the cable my computer is not able to find any wifi sources. Currently I use a cable but I would like to figure out how to restore the wifi on my computer without a cable. It is not the modem or routers problem because everything else in the house can connect without a problem.

D

Deleted member 1272578

So Wifi isn't working at all (Ethernet is not Wifi), it's most likely just a setting you need to change in the operating system or a missing driver. Work case scenario your wireless card is broken and needs to be replaced, they are only around 10 dollars and you can easily replace it yourself.

Christie330

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014

I dont think my wifi card is broken becasue it was working fine before I reformatted my computer. If I changed the setting, how can i change it back? What should i go to?