wiggly screen

G

Well, I'm out of ideas on this one. Maybe you guys can help.

I'm using a Samsung 900 NF CRT. Earlier this week I saw my screen start, for lack of better term, compacting. Like the horizontal hold is going. There is a lot of distortion around the edges and it presses in and springs back out. It doesn't do this all the time. I made it through 3-4 hours of DiabloII this last weekend and it was fine. First I thought it might be something to do with the subwoofer under the table distrupting signals. I moved the cable, still did it. I tried 2 different monitor cables on it, both produced the same results, sometimes worse. Next I tried a more heavy duty power cord, that cleared it up temporarily, but it started up again last night. The only other thing I haven't tried is plugging it in directly into the wall instead of an almost full power strip.

I'm not pushing the monitor, I run the desktop at 12x10 at 16bit, my games around the same. The videocard is a Visiontek Geforce3, the high res on the monitor is 1800x1440. I've only brought it to 1 LAN party and it has been working fine since then. It's less then 6 months old.

Any ideas??

Eric

G

Dude, LUCKY YOU! I have a distortion without springing! It just has like 2.5mm curvature! Try to put in the other room and DEGAUSS, it helped me a bit, distrion is less now, I wish my 955df would sometimes be without any distrtion!

G

Could be vid card is too hot or clocked too high as some games will control the card settings whilst in use, then reset back afterwards back to the problem setting. Is the monitor hot (my crt max 40 deg C),or refresh rate is too high mixed with screen area size. Something also to do with pci power with higher fsb clock but I cant remember.
Have you checked the On Screen Display settings etc?
Have you added anything to the system recently?

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!

G

Well, I've left the card at it's default settings. I did see it start springing in the games I was playing now too. I checked the manual and what the setting on the monitor was and the refresh/resolution pairing was optimal. Heat, I felt the back and it was warm to the touch after my hours of gaming, but it will do this when the monitor is cool. I've been through the onscreen displays about 10 times now, nothing in there screams it's wrong. It's, besides the positioning and centering, factory settings. Nothing new in the system recently. It's gotten progressively worse. I checked it on another PC and it started up again. I've since start digging up warranty information.

Thanks anyway.
Eric

G

Got another screen to use while warranty gets done?
It does sound like the monitor is the problem.Just havta check everything else first huh.
Hope warranty is good!

G

Goodluck with it. Let us know how it goes...

G

I can't complain about the Warranty from Samsung anyway, 3 years parts and labor. Unfortunately I ordered it from Egghead.com and my account info did not have a record of the purchase. I may have a lot of hoops to jump through now before I can get it serviced.

Oh, and I've downgraded to the Samsung 700 somthing 17" which is 2 years old, been taken to many a party and get togethers and hasn't had a single issue. A good reason to expect the 19" would be good as well.

Oh well, thanks.

Eric