Wilf28. Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to my questions. I have decided to buy a new machine until I gain more expe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilf28

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I did a reformat on the hard drive,done
this a number of times in the past, but
this time somethings no longer
function: like disc drives not able to
read discs, microsoft word processor now not working. Is it because I forgot to
activate windows at the end of
formating. Any ideas how to fix this
problem.

Wilf28

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Wilf28

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Thanks for your swift reply. When I did reformats in the past, I
can't remember having to activate a valid key. I do regular updates,
and I occasionally update the drivers, but the computer being over
7 years old, mybe i'm exspecting too much out of an old machine
and should consider buying a new one, what are your thoughts ?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Well... If the machine works for your purposes then it works and there's no reason to upgrade unless you want to. A new machine is always useful just because they are faster etc but not always necessary. Typically when you do a complete clean install you will need to re activate using the same key you had prior.

What OS are you using? Xp, Vista, Win 7, etc?

Some of your symptoms could be from hardware failure, or software. It's tough to tell until you troubleshoot a bit more.

My advice would be to get this one running. So you have something to use in the mean time and it can always make a good browsing / word processing machine. If you get a new machine. Great. This can always go to the "kids" "mom or dad" or w/e as a extra machine to use.

Kindredsouls

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
If you have reformatted the computer in the past and Windows "magically" re-activated itself on its own; I am going to assume you have a computer from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. A store bought PC. Sometimes those computers have certain tag information or serial numbers built into the BIOS and are able to activate Windows themselves. From my experience I've seen this to not always work. For example; at my job we have some Dell laptops that usually will activate themselves after a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, but once in awhile they will not. I don't know if this is what's happening in your case but that's all I can think of.

Otherwise, if you have the product key sticker (either on the computer or it came with the documentation) then just re-enter that. Another option is to call Microsoft with the product key and ask for some help. Here is there Windows Activation Help Support number: (888) 652-2342

I wish you luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.