[SOLVED] Will 1050ti run on this machine?

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Heres the system I just got off amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-i5-3470...OSKGAU&qid=1572801336&s=merchant-items&sr=1-4
The integrated Graphics on the i5 is pretty bad so I just want a low-mid end graphics card that can handle it better than integrated.

I was looking at the gtx 1050ti low profile, as the case is small form factor.

My PSU wattage is 240W- will this be an issue?
If it is an issue, would the 1030 gt suffice?

Thank you

Solution
+1^
Yes, the little GT 1030 will run on almost any PSU. You'll be fine. I had a GTX 1050 Ti L-P running on my Dell Optiplex's 240W PSU. I don't expect HP to use any less quality PSU. In fact, if this is your PSU's nameplate it is stronger than my Dell's was.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-i5-3470...OSKGAU&qid=1572801336&s=merchant-items&sr=1-4
The integrated Graphics on the i5 is pretty bad so I just want a low-mid end graphics card that can handle it better than integrated.

I was looking at the gtx 1050ti low profile, as the case is small form factor.

If it is an issue, would the 1030 gt suffice?

Thank you
Ti needs more power than what you have, non-Ti may be better option and 1030 is much weaker but that seems to be a slim case so you should measure it first, may need a low profile card.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013

I was looking at the gt 1030 2gb low profile, as the case is small form factor.

PSU calculator websites are not looking good when I combine all these together, says 270w recommended. How much should I trust this ?

Thank you

I did a psu calculator test and it said recommended 270w for this system with a 1030gt. Is there any concrete evidence for the 1030 gt being ok for my system?

Sorry just want to make sure I don't ruin the psu's lifespan etc

Thanks
That's probably just worst case worst case scenario, never to be reached in normal work. PCIe (where that GPU gets power from) can give up to 75W and 1030 doesn't need nearly as much.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
That's probably just worst case worst case scenario, never to be reached in normal work. PCIe (where that GPU gets power from) can give up to 75W and 1030 doesn't need nearly as much.
Hi sorry not sure I understand.

So the 1030gt will only pull max 75w from the PSU? And then combined with the rest that should be ok. Sorry just really want to make sure its not going to ruin my PSUs lifespan if I get this

Thanks again 🙂

Edit* also you said normal work, what about gaming ? Nothing too hard just maybe Minecraft or cs go at a push if it can

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Yes recommended power supply is 300w for that card. But it only draws like 30-40 watts worst case scenario. So you should be ok with that gpu and psu. But you have to check to see if it has a pcie x16 slot available for the gpu.
Cheers for the reply! How do you know for sure it only pulls max 40w and if this ok? Just want to understand PSUs and GPUs more and not sure how it all adds up. Just wanna make sure before I buy it and ruin something like the PSUs life span.
Edit* I just checked And saw on the mb next to a slot X16PCIEXP. Looks like I'm covered there then just the power issue

Thanks again much appreciated

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
Yes, the little GT 1030 will run on almost any PSU. You'll be fine. I had a GTX 1050 Ti L-P running on my Dell Optiplex's 240W PSU. I don't expect HP to use any less quality PSU. In fact, if this is your PSU's nameplate it is stronger than my Dell's was.

Solution
Hi sorry not sure I understand.

So the 1030gt will only pull max 75w from the PSU? And then combined with the rest that should be ok. Sorry just really want to make sure its not going to ruin my PSUs lifespan if I get this

Thanks again 🙂

Edit* also you said normal work, what about gaming ? Nothing too hard just maybe Minecraft or cs go at a push if it can
Gaming included, benchmark tests are usually ones that make maximum demands in power. 75W is maximum any PCIe device can pull out of PCIe, 1030 much less.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
+1^
Okay awesome so it definitely wont have unexpected shutdowns or ruin the PSUs lifespan?

Sounds Like i have the same psu as you, 240w continious from a dell optiplex

thanks again!

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Gaming included, benchmark tests are usually ones that make maximum demands in power. 75W is maximum any PCIe device can pull out of PCIe, 1030 much less.
Awesome thanks man
so even out of a pciexp16 the max is 75w? i guess thats why bigger cards have separate power cables?

So will be 100% okay with the 1030? no unexpected shutdowns or ruining the psu's life span for sure?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I ran an R7 250E (55W card) on a Dell Inspiron Small Desktop (model 3647) with a 220W PSU (216W available on the 12V rail) for 3-1/2 years with no issues whatsoever, until I upgraded to a newer system.

A 30W card such as the GT 1030 will be a piece of cake for your power supply.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
I ran an R7 250E (55W card) on a Dell Inspiron Small Desktop (model 3647) with a 220W PSU (216W available on the 12V rail) for 3-1/2 years with no issues whatsoever, until I upgraded to a newer system.

A 30W card such as the GT 1030 will be a piece of cake for your power supply.
Ahh thank you, much appreciated

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
What kind of games do you play and what is your monitor's screen resolution?
Its actually for a flatmate. He pretty much just plays RuneScape and Minecraft. Would like to run csgo i think too but isn't that bothered. I asked about 1050ti because he initially said he might want to try new games. But now it seems he just wants anything that isn't the integrated gpu that can't even run Minecraft well. So I figured the 1030was best if he didn't want any big games and BC we are students so money is an issue. So probs will go with that now after everyone's reassurances.

Think the monitor is1920x1080 will have to check tho

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Its actually for a flatmate. He pretty much just plays RuneScape and Minecraft. Would like to run csgo i think too but isn't that bothered. I asked about 1050ti because he initially said he might want to try new games. But now it seems he just wants anything that isn't the integrated gpu that can't even run Minecraft well. So I figured the 1030was best if he didn't want any big games and BC we are students so money is an issue. So probs will go with that now after everyone's reassurances.

Think the monitor is1920x1080 will have to check tho
That's OK. Minecraft isn't graphics intensive at all. The GT 1030 will be fine. In fact, this HD 2500 iGPU should be fine for Minecraft.