[SOLVED] Will 1080ti + i5-8600k bottleneck?

Solution
Don't go an i5, you'll be sorry you did. 8600k/9600ks ipc work isn't good enough for high frame rates in many games. Cpu is the fps cap, the more fps a gpu can do (regardless of resolution) the more frames cpu need prepare.
Trouble with this is there's more to games than just pre-rendering frames especially with big games. There's physics, ai, sound, map loading and multiplayer. All this cpu activity can overwhelm current i5s to the point of reaching maximum usage causing frame drops and stutters.

Six cores is quickly becoming the minimum and wouldn't start with neither if want any sort of future with it without limiting frame rates to free up cpu resources.

i7 8700k / 9700k (or 9900k) are better suited for higher frame rate gaming...

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
100%, upgrading to a 8700k will have a huge improvement in games because games now a days needs a lot of threads and the 8700k has a lot of threads which is a good improvement in games, but for now if you're planning on overclocking that i5, it should be fine for awhile i suppose.

Feb 28, 2019
100%, upgrading to a 8700k will have a huge improvement in games because games now a days needs a lot of threads and the 8700k has a lot of threads which is a good improvement in games, but for now if you're planning on overclocking that i5, it should be fine for awhile i suppose.
Yeah, but again - im paying 30% more for 6% performance:unsure:

What resolution are you gaming at? At 1080p you may see some benefit of the 8700k/9700k today. At 1440p I doubt you will see any benefit today.

However I’m not a fan of the current i5’s when Ryzen is an option. There are games already that can max out or nearly max out a 6 thread cpu. We have seen it before with the quad core i5’s, as newer games come out which need more threads the i5’s start to struggle years earlier than their i7 counterparts. For me the options would be i7 or Ryzen.

Reactions: Shektron
Feb 28, 2019
What resolution are you gaming at? At 1080p you may see some benefit of the 8700k/9700k today. At 1440p I doubt you will see any benefit today.

However I’m not a fan of the current i5’s when Ryzen is an option. There are games already that can max out or nearly max out a 6 thread cpu. We have seen it before with the quad core i5’s, as newer games come out which need more threads the i5’s start to struggle years earlier than their i7 counterparts. For me the options would be i7 or Ryzen.
Im currently playing 1080p 240hz.
Right now im using 1080 strix+8600k, but i've gotten a sweet deal i really cant say no to. So my concern is just if i really need cpu upgrade.
I also have z370-f motherboard, and i dont see the point of getting rid of that just to go ryzen. I'd like to go ryzen some day, but not right now:giggle:

Im currently playing 1080p 240hz.
Right now im using 1080 strix+8600k, but i've gotten a sweet deal i really cant say no to. So my concern is just if i really need cpu upgrade.
I also have z370-f motherboard, and i dont see the point of getting rid of that just to go ryzen. I'd like to go ryzen some day, but not right now:giggle:
If you have it already there is no point changing, especially as you got it for a good deal.

That website is completely misleading garbage, I wish it didn’t exist.

There is nothing wrong with that setup. At 1080p in cpu heavy games an 8700k/9700k would give a few more FPS but this is game specific. You can overclock the 8600k assuming you have a good motherboard/cooler/psu. This will help close any gap to an i7.

As you have the setup just try it, I’m sure you will find it good.

Feb 28, 2019
That website is completely misleading garbage, I wish it didn’t exist.

There is nothing wrong with that setup. At 1080p in cpu heavy games an 8700k/9700k would give a few more FPS but this is game specific. You can overclock the 8600k assuming you have a good motherboard/cooler/psu. This will help close any gap to an i7.

As you have the setup just try it, I’m sure you will find it good.
Okay thank you!
Never using that site again :D

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't go an i5, you'll be sorry you did. 8600k/9600ks ipc work isn't good enough for high frame rates in many games. Cpu is the fps cap, the more fps a gpu can do (regardless of resolution) the more frames cpu need prepare.
Trouble with this is there's more to games than just pre-rendering frames especially with big games. There's physics, ai, sound, map loading and multiplayer. All this cpu activity can overwhelm current i5s to the point of reaching maximum usage causing frame drops and stutters.

Six cores is quickly becoming the minimum and wouldn't start with neither if want any sort of future with it without limiting frame rates to free up cpu resources.

i7 8700k / 9700k (or 9900k) are better suited for higher frame rate gaming.

See this

Solution