[SOLVED] Will 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 RAM work good with 8GB 3000MHz DDR4 RAM

Jan 8, 2019
I have a 16GB 3000MHz Corsair DDR4 RAM Stick and I am thinking on getting a 8GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM Stick. Will having 16G and a 8G Stick bother because they are not identical with each other.

I do not think they are dual channel, but I've not checked though.

16GB Corsair RGB Pro DDR4 RAM 3000MHz

So is getting a 8GB 3000MHz good and fit without any problems?

Solution
Page 9 of your board's manual shows which slots to put the ram sticks in if you have 1 stick, 2 sticks or 4 sticks. (DIMM B2 and DIMM A2 for 2 sticks)
Your PC won't be any slower if you add a smaller stick as long as you keep the 2nd stick in the opposite channel so the first 8GB of total system memory will run in dual channel mode.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Are you talking about adding a single 16GB stick to an existing 8GB stick? If so, it will probably work OK w/o stability problems if you can match the new one to the old one as close as possible. But no guarantees when not using a matched pair in a dual channel system. Especially if you want to maintain 3000MHz. Is this an AMD or Intel board?

Jan 8, 2019
It is an AMD board, I am thinking of adding 8Gigs of RAM to existing 16GB RAM.

They are the same,

Corsair 16GB RGB PRO RAM DDR4 - Already Installed.
Corsair 8GB RGB PRO RAM DDR4 - Thinking to install.

Both are 3000MHz in power. Only difference is the Size of the RAM, i,e, 1st one installed in SLOT 2 has 16GB of RAM running at 3000MHz, the second I am willing to install will be same brand with same MHz but a 8GB Stick! So, will those work without problem, and which slot should I install them in.

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/vengeance-rgb-pro-memory

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't mention what motherboard you have, but most boards with 4 slots have dissimilar colored DIMM slot pairs. You will want the sticks in matching color slots to take advantage of dual channel mode performance, and then only for the 1st 8GB. The remainder of the RAM will still operate in single channel mode.

If your board has all same-color slots, look in your MB manual for which slots are used for dual channel mode. Or tell us which board you have.

Jan 8, 2019
I got b450M-PRO VDH Motherboard ryzen 2000 ready, got the 16GB 3000MHz stick on the second slot, so would getting a 8GB Stick slow my PC down to only 8GB usable of (1st stick 8GB) and 8GB usable of (2nd Stick 16GB) making a total of only 16GB and rest of the 8GB will be stand alone?

How will be the rest of 8GB used by the PC?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Page 9 of your board's manual shows which slots to put the ram sticks in if you have 1 stick, 2 sticks or 4 sticks. (DIMM B2 and DIMM A2 for 2 sticks)
Your PC won't be any slower if you add a smaller stick as long as you keep the 2nd stick in the opposite channel so the first 8GB of total system memory will run in dual channel mode.

Solution