Question Will 1700 bottleneck a RTX 2080?

Feb 18, 2019
Will any of these processors bottleneck a RTX 2080?

I will probably go for 1700 in the end.

((1700/2600x/1700x))

but if a 1600 or 2600 doesnt ill probably go with that instead.

The 2600X will likely outperform the 1700 slightly in most games (higher clock speeds, better RAM speeds supported), but, you'd have to analyze cost differences, costs of a cooler, likelihood of a successful 3.95 - 4.0 GHz overclock of 1700, etc...; you might value the 1700's additional cores for content creation, etc., but, for now, 6c/12t CPUs is plenty for gaming.

Each processor you listed should be fine for casual gaming, and, as much as I try to avoid using the word 'bottleneck', we will just say the framerates at 1080P would be less than those of an Intel 8700K or above, especially with an RTX2080, but, this would not usually matter for most folks with any 60/100 Hz monitor, but those desiring 144 Hz refresh monitor action with latest games might prefer Intel, as some games do have 20-30% higher average framerate with 9700K at 1080P...

Cioby

Distinguished
Getting a x CPU kinda ensures your card has higher clocks by default or can OC better. For a few bucks do you really want a cheaper CPU?
And at 1080p and 1440p you will lose fps to Intel. If you will do gaming only, you could get the 8600k it's as good as the 8700k and can OC.

If you need workloads, 1700x or 8700k (the 9 series is too new and slightly slower, you need to have a lucky chip to OC it as good).

Also when you ask bottlenecks, always specify your monitor and resolutions, refresh rate. Even games you plan to play. Or you can simply youtube 1700 + 2080 + game name you want to play + your desired resolution.

Feb 18, 2019
Getting a x CPU kinda ensures your card has higher clocks by default or can OC better. For a few bucks do you really want a cheaper CPU?
And at 1080p and 1440p you will lose fps to Intel. If you will do gaming only, you could get the 8600k it's as good as the 8700k and can OC.

If you need workloads, 1700x or 8700k (the 9 series is too new and slightly slower, you need to have a lucky chip to OC it as good).

Also when you ask bottlenecks, always specify your monitor and resolutions, refresh rate. Even games you plan to play. Or you can simply youtube 1700 + 2080 + game name you want to play + your desired resolution.

I want to play at 240Hz 1080p. I already have a monitor.

And i play apex legends, cs:go, and fortnite. all at 1080p.

and my budget is $1600, so would it be worth it to get more money for a 8700k?

Feb 18, 2019
The 2600X will likely outperform the 1700 slightly in most games (higher clock speeds, better RAM speeds supported), but, you'd have to analyze cost differences, costs of a cooler, likelihood of a successful 3.95 - 4.0 GHz overclock of 1700, etc...; you might value the 1700's additional cores for content creation, etc., but, for now, 6c/12t CPUs is plenty for gaming.

Each processor you listed should be fine for casual gaming, and, as much as I try to avoid using the word 'bottleneck', we will just say the framerates at 1080P would be less than those of an Intel 8700K or above, especially with an RTX2080, but, this would not usually matter for most folks with any 60/100 Hz monitor, but those desiring 144 Hz refresh monitor action with latest games might prefer Intel, as some games do have 20-30% higher average framerate with 9700K at 1080P...

Well, my goal is 240Hz 1080, which i've seen people get around 200FPS with a 2080/2700
so would it be worth to upgrade to an i7-i9

8350rocks

Distinguished
Well, my goal is 240Hz 1080, which i've seen people get around 200FPS with a 2080/2700
so would it be worth to upgrade to an i7-i9

Ignore their comments, there is not a substantial difference between AMD and Intel, and you should spend more money on your GPU if you want to get the most FPS.

AMD will not underperform intel significantly in most games, there may be an outlier here or there...but you will be fine with the 1700. The only thing I would recommend to you on that front is to make sure you are capable of overclocking with your MB, because you need to get that 1700 going up around 3.8-3.9 GHz in order to make sure you get good FPS. If overclocking seems like more challenge than you want, I would spring for a 1700X or 2700X, their base clock speeds will be high enough that you will be fine without overclocking manually.

Feb 18, 2019
Ignore their comments, there is not a substantial difference between AMD and Intel, and you should spend more money on your GPU if you want to get the most FPS.

AMD will not underperform intel significantly in most games, there may be an outlier here or there...but you will be fine with the 1700. The only thing I would recommend to you on that front is to make sure you are capable of overclocking with your MB, because you need to get that 1700 going up around 3.8-3.9 GHz in order to make sure you get good FPS. If overclocking seems like more challenge than you want, I would spring for a 1700X or 2700X, their base clock speeds will be high enough that you will be fine without overclocking manually.

okay, thanks for info. I appreciate it !

Cioby

Distinguished
I want to play at 240Hz 1080p. I already have a monitor.

And i play apex legends, cs:go, and fortnite. all at 1080p.

and my budget is $1600, so would it be worth it to get more money for a 8700k?

how is
8350rocks so high ranked and "helpful" literally doesn't understand how CPUs work. How is getting 20-50 fps extra, NOT A REAL DIFFERENCE IN CPUS LOL. Only thing I do agree on is, you need a better GPU to get the best performance, but even then you'd lose some fps AT 1080p or 1440p IN MOSTLY ANY GAME, if you go AMD instead of Intel, unless you overclock the hell out of your AMD and leave the Intel at stock (but the Intel has turbo boost so it will OC itself to 4.4k on the 8700k)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ4nJSH1d1Y

You don't even have to look so hard to find videos on how Intel is better, much better in some cases at 1080p.

The problem is there are no Apex Legends comparisons between CPUs yet so I can't guarantee it to you. Also from what I've seen you may not be able to get 240 fps unless you lower some settings.

BUT if you want the best chance or highest fps, you can use gsync to make it feel better, get a Intel i7 overclockable or even a i5 8600k runs as fast as the i7 BUT it's much weaker in multithreading or any workload you may do so it's not really recommended.

Also 1600$ might be enough for a 8700k setup. If you have everything else, the 8700k is basically 100$ more expensive AT MOST than a 1700x/2700x which is the only other GOOD choice. Premium motherboards are like 100-130$ so there is no real COST for Intel setups when your budget is that high.

Last edited:
To bad zen 2 isn't out yet. I'm ready to see the numbers there.

For gaming, Intel is a little better for now. However, ryzen will still do fine. I'm running a 1700x and a Vega 56 and it's not bad on a 144hz monitor.

Zen 2 was shown at CES supposedly beating an i9. The thing you will get with AMD is a better upgrade path. In a year or so, you will probably be able to put a better cpu in than in the Intel system. Usually Intel changes boards every other year or so.

Feb 18, 2019
To bad zen 2 isn't out yet. I'm ready to see the numbers there.

For gaming, Intel is a little better for now. However, ryzen will still do fine. I'm running a 1700x and a Vega 56 and it's not bad on a 144hz monitor.

Zen 2 was shown at CES supposedly beating an i9. The thing you will get with AMD is a better upgrade path. In a year or so, you will probably be able to put a better cpu in than in the Intel system. Usually Intel changes boards every other year or so.

Yeah, Im really excited to see what they have in store.

But, I havent really looked into it. Do you have any idea when its being released?

Feb 18, 2019
how is
8350rocks so high ranked and "helpful" literally doesn't understand how CPUs work. How is getting 20-50 fps extra, NOT A REAL DIFFERENCE IN CPUS LOL. Only thing I do agree on is, you need a better GPU to get the best performance, but even then you'd lose some fps AT 1080p or 1440p IN MOSTLY ANY GAME, if you go AMD instead of Intel, unless you overclock the hell out of your AMD and leave the Intel at stock (but the Intel has turbo boost so it will OC itself to 4.4k on the 8700k)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ4nJSH1d1Y

You don't even have to look so hard to find videos on how Intel is better, much better in some cases at 1080p.

The problem is there are no Apex Legends comparisons between CPUs yet so I can't guarantee it to you. Also from what I've seen you may not be able to get 240 fps unless you lower some settings.

BUT if you want the best chance or highest fps, you can use gsync to make it feel better, get a Intel i7 overclockable or even a i5 8600k runs as fast as the i7 BUT it's much weaker in multithreading or any workload you may do so it's not really recommended.

Also 1600$ might be enough for a 8700k setup. If you have everything else, the 8700k is basically 100$ more expensive AT MOST than a 1700x/2700x which is the only other GOOD choice. Premium motherboards are like 100-130$ so there is no real COST for Intel setups when your budget is that high.

Is there any way of having a 8700k with ok cooling + 2070? or would I have to degrade the CPU/GPU to be able to get one or the other? (in the $1600 budget range)

I don't think the 8700k even comes with a cooler. As a rule though, always go better GPU than cpu for gaming. Within reason of course. Here's a consideration. How about getting something like a 2600x now, get a high end board, overclock the 2600x, which will be plenty for games. Then when Zen 2 releases in a few months, you could sell the 2600x, and drop in a newer cpu. You could also check out microcenter if you have one nearby. Recently they've had the older 1600 for just 100 bucks if you were going to get a cpu as a placeholder to sell later.

If rumors are right, they may release 12 core 24 thread CPUs. Imagine something like that at about 5ghz. That would be some horsepower.

On Zen 2, I think they were saying June or July.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-zen-2-release-date-specs-performance?amp

Feb 18, 2019
I don't think the 8700k even comes with a cooler. As a rule though, always go better GPU than cpu for gaming. Within reason of course. Here's a consideration. How about getting something like a 2600x now, get a high end board, overclock the 2600x, which will be plenty for games. Then when Zen 2 releases in a few months, you could sell the 2600x, and drop in a newer cpu. You could also check out microcenter if you have one nearby. Recently they've had the older 1600 for just 100 bucks if you were going to get a cpu as a placeholder to sell later.

If rumors are right, they may release 12 core 24 thread CPUs. Imagine something like that at about 5ghz. That would be some horsepower.

On Zen 2, I think they were saying June or July.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-zen-2-release-date-specs-performance?amp

Wow, that's perfect. July is near my birthday as well.

Seems like a good idea, I might try that actually.

But sadly, the nearest micro center is multiple states away from me.

Cioby

Distinguished
Is there any way of having a 8700k with ok cooling + 2070? or would I have to degrade the CPU/GPU to be able to get one or the other? (in the $1600 budget range)

It depends on your country and your sales. For example in my country I have like 4 well known online stores I check prices on.
If you can't get a 2070 but you can get a 1080ti (my Aorus in particular was cheaper and is really good if not better than many other) for like 100-200 cheaper, get that. The performance is almost the same and you can OC to gain that disadvantage.
I can't recommend you downgrade your motherboard since you will have that as long as your CPU which will be for many many years. And a good overclockable motherboard that won't die on you is important too. Anything else you can get cheaper for now and upgrade or add later, like HDD SSD.

Feb 18, 2019
It depends on your country and your sales. For example in my country I have like 4 well known online stores I check prices on.
If you can't get a 2070 but you can get a 1080ti (my Aorus in particular was cheaper and is really good if not better than many other) for like 100-200 cheaper, get that. The performance is almost the same and you can OC to gain that disadvantage.
I can't recommend you downgrade your motherboard since you will have that as long as your CPU which will be for many many years. And a good overclockable motherboard that won't die on you is important too. Anything else you can get cheaper for now and upgrade or add later, like HDD SSD.

Well, the cheapest 1080 Ti in my stores are $1000 NEW.
GTX 1080's are $735 New
RTX 2070's are $509 New (factory overclocked)

So I'm thinking a RTX 2070/2080

And do you have any suggestions for a good overclockable motherboard?

Cioby

Distinguished
All of the mid-range good looking motherboards are the same I assume, unless you need some specific features.
Find one that's on sale but still above 100-120$ I went for a z370 Aorus you can scroll down for specifications. Keep in mind some new motherboards have USB 3.1 GEN 2 (gen 2 being the new one, gen 1 is basically 3.0) so you may want to get a motherboard that has one of those. And my RAM and CPU both can overclock, got up to 4.9 Ghz, couldn't get to 5 Ghz with predefined values (I like to use those and not play around with voltage myself) and it has a very cool app that stores everything, from RGB to overclocking.

I also looked into the MSI and Asus one, but this one was on stock and was going to arrive sooner + it was on 30% sale. Plus my GPU is an Aorus also so they look cute together.
Like this one seems cool and has USB 3.1 gen 2 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144219

Very sad to hear the 1080ti is so expensive, then again it does have 11 GB of VRAM and equals the 2080. Depends what you are aiming for, if you want 4K in some titles (some will only run 40-50 at maximum) get a 2080. Witcher 3 runs around 60 fps max settings.
If you are okay with 1440p a 2070 will be decent also but don't expect 144 fps in most titles. You will get over the 60 fps sweet spot in most games including Apex and a lot more fps in older or less demanding games. Plus the 8700k will not bottleneck you or draw you back like a Ryzen CPU at those resolutions.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fAQxEXshKA

The difference in many games is 33% higher average framerate with 8700k or 9700K.

No one said 100 fps from a 2600 or 2700X was slow, but, it's hard to argue that when comparing the R5 or R7's 100 fps vs. 135 fps average framerates from 8700K/9700K is not superior gaming performance from the latter.. especially when someone is seeking highest FPS possible for 144 Hz or above monitor, etc..

See the comparison from Gamer's Nexus in a variety of games at 1080P and 1440P comparing framerates from a variety of CPUs when using good GPU.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOVfeujof4&t=500s

Feb 18, 2019
All of the mid-range good looking motherboards are the same I assume, unless you need some specific features.
Find one that's on sale but still above 100-120$ I went for a z370 Aorus you can scroll down for specifications. Keep in mind some new motherboards have USB 3.1 GEN 2 (gen 2 being the new one, gen 1 is basically 3.0) so you may want to get a motherboard that has one of those. And my RAM and CPU both can overclock, got up to 4.9 Ghz, couldn't get to 5 Ghz with predefined values (I like to use those and not play around with voltage myself) and it has a very cool app that stores everything, from RGB to overclocking.

I also looked into the MSI and Asus one, but this one was on stock and was going to arrive sooner + it was on 30% sale. Plus my GPU is an Aorus also so they look cute together.
Like this one seems cool and has USB 3.1 gen 2 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144219

Very sad to hear the 1080ti is so expensive, then again it does have 11 GB of VRAM and equals the 2080. Depends what you are aiming for, if you want 4K in some titles (some will only run 40-50 at maximum) get a 2080. Witcher 3 runs around 60 fps max settings.
If you are okay with 1440p a 2070 will be decent also but don't expect 144 fps in most titles. You will get over the 60 fps sweet spot in most games including Apex and a lot more fps in older or less demanding games. Plus the 8700k will not bottleneck you or draw you back like a Ryzen CPU at those resolutions.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fAQxEXshKA

I actually don't even use anything above 1080p. I'm more worried about 240Hz or 144Hz rather than resolution.

InvalidError

Titan
Every CPU can potentially bottleneck any GPU and vice-versa, how lopsided the balance point is is heavily dependent on the game, details settings and even on specific scenes within individual games.

There always is a bottleneck. What matters is pushing that bottleneck beyond your minimum performance requirement.

Reactions: TJ Hooker