Will 2 identical dual channel ram kits work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2018
I’m looking to build a gaming rig and want to have 32gb of ram but as the prices are through the roof at the moment I was thinking of getting a 16gb kit now and getting another 16gb kit when the prices come down however I understand that having 2 dual channel memory kits doesn’t always work. The mother bird I’m going to get is the ASUS maximus hero X and I believe it runs 2 dual channel sockets, does this mean I can use 2 different kits as long as they are in the corresponding channels or will this not work. They will be identical so will this even matter?

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

Sometimes increasing the ram voltage in the bios will make things...
Using identical kits is a good start, and it would potentially increase your odds of it working, but its still going to be up in the air until you actually do it.
Personally, I couldnt afford 16GB for my system so Im planning on the same thing, if it dosent work ill just prime return the new kit and get a proper kit later, since RAM prices are predicted to drop in the near future.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?

Sometimes increasing the ram voltage in the bios will make things work.

If you want 32gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 16gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 16gb,
If it works, good; you now have extra ram.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

If it works, you will still be operating in dual channel mode with 4 slots populated.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.