[SOLVED] Will 2070 super bottleneck i5 8400?

aaron.klent

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
I planned on buying an rtx 2070 super paired to a 1440p resolution set to 144hz on any games from what I understand having your monitor set to 144hertz increases your frame rates but puts an impact on cpu or gpu usage. Therefore, I would like to know if it will bottleneck the specs listed below.

If it does is there any difference if I go with rtx 2070 or adjust the core clock frequency of rtx, your suggestions is highly appreciated this is mostly for gaming purposes.

CPU: I5 8400
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X 8gb
RAM: Gskill Trident z rgb 16gb 2x8gb 2666mhz
SSD: Western Digital black 500gb
HDD: Western Digital blue 1tb
PSU: Corsair 600w

Solution
The monitor Hz has no impact on your FPS. Your FPS is dictated by your pc hardware, resolution and game settings. These would be a good pairing but manage expectations. Some games might be limited by the cpu and a 2070 isn’t going to run high/max settings at 1440p if aiming for >100fps.

What exact model of psu do you have? Corsair 600w doesn’t tell us much and they have some poor units that come under that rating.
The monitor Hz has no impact on your FPS. Your FPS is dictated by your pc hardware, resolution and game settings. These would be a good pairing but manage expectations. Some games might be limited by the cpu and a 2070 isn’t going to run high/max settings at 1440p if aiming for >100fps.

What exact model of psu do you have? Corsair 600w doesn’t tell us much and they have some poor units that come under that rating.

Solution

aaron.klent

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
If I were to go with 1440p 144hz then setting to 144hz on an i5 8400 wouldn't do difference? exclude the 100fps and framerates

Makes me want to go with 60hz this time.

aaron.klent

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018

Do you have any suggestion with the psu that would be perfect for this setup?

You are confusing Hz and FPS. A 144Hz (ignoring Freesync & G-Sync) will refresh 144 times a second. Your system and game settings will determine if you get 60, 100, 144 FPS or something else. For gaming 144Hz is a good upgrade over 60Hz but to get the most from it you ideally want as close to 144fps as possible.

What is your current graphics card?
What kinds of games do you play?
Fast action games will be most responsive to faster graphics.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Your psu should be capable of running a GTX2070 super.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

While your psu is not considered as high quality, I would nor rush to change it out so long as it is running well.

aaron.klent

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
What is your current graphics card?
What kinds of games do you play?
Fast action games will be most responsive to faster graphics.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Your psu should be capable of running a GTX2070 super.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

While your psu is not considered as high quality, I would nor rush to change it out so long as it is running well.
Focusing more on fps (Squad, R6 siege and possibly BF5) though Im also considering storymode like Resident Evil. If you know any good quality psu please do mention it.

aaron.klent

Commendable
Aug 20, 2018
Alright I'll check that out, one last thing about the ram mhz I've noticed on some builds with i5 8400 paired with 2060 - 2070 they were using 3000mhz 16gb 2 x 8gb should I go with that or a 2666mhz will be enough to balance the rtx.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Unless it is a Z chipset, the max ram speed will be 2666.
3000 speed ram will run at 2666 when installed on a H310 or B365 motherboard.

Ram speed is really not an issue with Intel since you have a discrete graphics card.
Actual app performance or fps difference will be negligible between 2666 and 3000 speed.