[SOLVED] Will 2080Super be enough, will it fit on my MOBO

Aug 26, 2020
Hey guys, So i'm considering upgrading my GPU (currently 1070) to a 2080 Super (Thought about the Ti but if a Super is good enough it will do).

My current MOBO is a Predator G3-710 I'm wondering if a 2080S/Ti would fit on this mother board or would i need to upgrade?

I'll also be upgrading my ram from 16GB to 32GB - Will Upgrading the GPU cause issues with fitting in 2 16GB Ram Sticks on the same mobo?

I'm looking to play some games in 4k with this upgrade - Would a 2080Super / 32gb ram / 17700 cpu and Predator G3-710 be enough to run say "Cyberpunk 2077" at 4k?

At what point do i need to think about replacing my PSU? And what PSU Watts should i be aiming for?

Solution
I see the predicament we are all in waiting for these new GPU's and appreciate all the info you guys have thrown at me here and apologize for any silly questions, i don't normally stay up to date with all the new upcoming PC parts .

I'm not unhappy with my 1070 by all means, but I am hoping to get some ULTRA graphics even if not at 4k without any type of performance drops with cyberpunk 2077 - Playing on a next gen console could be the way to go true, i do have an 65" OLED in the lounge but I am more of a PC Gamer and would love to take this chance of having extra cash to upgrade my PC now (or soon) rather than leaving it another year or two and having to do a even bigger upgrade if that makes sense.

Is the 2080s really not much...
Several Things:

1. The RAM is on the upper right side of the motherboard, adding RAM will not affect the GPU.

2. Every GPU has different dimensions; you need to find out the dimensions of the 2080 Super you want to buy and then measure if those dimensions will fit in your case.

3. You need to upgrade your PSU, 500 watts isn't enough for a RTX 2080 Super.

4. You should want for the next generation Nvidia Ampere cards, they will be announced on September 1st.

Aug 26, 2020
Several Things:

1. The RAM is on the upper right side of the motherboard, adding RAM will not affect the GPU.

2. Every GPU has different dimensions; you need to find out the dimensions of the 2080 Super you want to buy and then measure if those dimensions will fit in your case.

3. You need to upgrade your PSU, 500 watts isn't enough for a RTX 2080 Super.

4. You should want for the next generation Nvidia Ampere cards, they will be announced on September 1st.

Thanks for the reply, How do you know if have only 500watts PSU? I've not checked but I think it might be as high as 730, What would be the minimum PSU needed to run 2080 super? -

Sept 1st for the announcement on prices etc? What are we expecting the equivilant of the 2080's to be running at on release? Are they suppose to be cheaper than 2080's or more expensive? Because I have a slight memory of the 10xx series being cheaper than the 9xx series atleast not that long after release, is that the case we are expecting with the new drivers?

Thanks for the reply, How do you know if have only 500watts PSU? I've not checked but I think it might be as high as 730, What would be the minimum PSU needed to run 2080 super? -

Sept 1st for the announcement on prices etc? What are we expecting the equivilant of the 2080's to be running at on release? Are they suppose to be cheaper than 2080's or more expensive? Because I have a slight memory of the 10xx series being cheaper than the 9xx series atleast not that long after release, is that the case we are expecting with the new drivers?

650w, 2080 super is the worst deal right now, literally the worst, its just as fast as the 2070 super overall, more pricey, and yes, ampere is right aroudn the corner, the prices are a mystery but we're hoping that the same as the 2xxx, even so, if the reported performance leaks proves right, a 3070 should outperform that and be the same or lower price. Hell, even the 3060 could possibly be close to it.

plus, waaaay better Raytracing capabilites, the 2xxx is not really RT ready, so this is literally the worst time to get a new gpu possible

McNutts

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
According to leaks the prices are below.

3060: $400
3070: $600
3080: $800
3090: $1400

These are from leaks from the past few days. These are supposed to be retail prices so you should expect to pay more than that if you can even buy them. The 3090s are going to sell out really fast. They will probably be effectively a paper launch and sites like Newegg and Amazon only getting like 10 cards each. I see the same thing happening with all of the cards except maybe the 3060 and 3070s.

I will be buying the fastest GPU there is after I see benchmarks for the new Nvidia cards and the new AMD cards. They are both rumored to be "released" this year. I say "released" because I fully expect the releases to be effectively paper launches. I see retailers like Newegg, Amazon, and Best Buy to only get like ten 3090s each and they will sell out within seconds. It will be near impossible to buy one of these new GPUs at non-scalper prices this year because of normal launch availability and the virus pandemic we are in the middle of. If I'm lucky I will be able to buy a 3090 or 6800XT some time after the beginning of the year.

Luckily I bought a 2080 Super with my new PC instead of a 2080 ti in April because I knew the new GPUs were coming out soon. I saved the $500 I was going to spend on the 2080 ti and started to save $200 a month in anticipation for the new GPUs. I have $2,000 in the bank waiting for the new GPUs. Once I buy a new GPU I will sell my 2080 Super for cheap and throw the rest of the money left over at a HP Reverb G2 VR headset for some sweet Microsoft Flight Simulator action.

If I were you I would hold off on buying a new GPU right now and wait for the reviews of both the new Nvidia GPUs and the new AMD GPUs. Once they are both out the prices should start leveling out to what they will stay at until new GPUs come out and you will be able to get the best GPU you can afford. You 1070 is a pretty good card for right now. You're not going to play Cyber Punk 2077 at 4K with all the bells and whistles but you will be able to play it and have a great time. I don't expect my 2080 Super to be able to play 2077 at 4K at Ultra at 60FPS. Since 2077 uses ray tracing I fully expect a 3090 to be required to achieve 60FPS@4k with ray tracing enabled. That or play it on a Xbox Series X.

Aug 26, 2020
I see the predicament we are all in waiting for these new GPU's and appreciate all the info you guys have thrown at me here and apologize for any silly questions, i don't normally stay up to date with all the new upcoming PC parts .

I'm not unhappy with my 1070 by all means, but I am hoping to get some ULTRA graphics even if not at 4k without any type of performance drops with cyberpunk 2077 - Playing on a next gen console could be the way to go true, i do have an 65" OLED in the lounge but I am more of a PC Gamer and would love to take this chance of having extra cash to upgrade my PC now (or soon) rather than leaving it another year or two and having to do a even bigger upgrade if that makes sense.

Is the 2080s really not much better than the 2070s? My original idea was to upgrade to the 2070s but figured the 2080s isn't really that much more (atleast here in australia a few extra hundred) - I May be able to swing for a 2080ti but the 2080ti is starting to get to the point that i don't particularly want to let go of THAT much for 1 item lol, though i could, it's just hard to accept it. If i could find a bargain i'd go for the 2080ti.

Would a 2080ti be a better purchase over the 2080s? Even if the new 3xxx series come out at guess prices? Or are we expecting the 3xxx series to blow the 2xxx series away?

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Is the 2080s really not much better than the 2070s? My original idea was to upgrade to the 2070s but figured the 2080s isn't really that much more (atleast here in australia a few extra hundred) - I May be able to swing for a 2080ti but the 2080ti is starting to get to the point that i don't particularly want to let go of THAT much for 1 item lol, though i could, it's just hard to accept it. If i could find a bargain i'd go for the 2080ti.

Would a 2080ti be a better purchase over the 2080s? Even if the new 3xxx series come out at guess prices? Or are we expecting the 3xxx series to blow the 2xxx series away?

Thanks again for all the info guys.

well, I wouldnt be so apocaliptic about the 3xxx release and availability, but really only time could tell... neverthless, regarding the 2080s, it is really wayy to close to 2070s to be a real deal, a quick comparison search will show that perhaps a 5fps difference in the 60s fps range, of course above 100 it increases, but thats how fps work, and even if i gets 15 fps diff above 100, thats unperceivable, its really not worth it... if you must, although i'd advise dont do it because in a way or another the RTX2xxx series will NOT age well... go for the 2080ti already... or 2070s

Solution

McNutts

Prominent
Jun 27, 2020
Don’t pay attention to other people that say the 2080 is to close to the 2070 or this and that. People that can afford the high end and want the high end already know that they are well past the point in the price to performance graph we’re it starts to level off. But that advice is for normal prices and right now the 2080s and the 2080 ti cards are no longer being produced so there prices have jumped dramatically recently.

Do what everyone should do and go look at benchmarks for games. It’s the best thing you can do to decide on what card to get if you must buy one now.

the 2080 ti is about 10%-20% faster than a 2080 Super for around $500 more at normal prices. Right now the 2080 ti prices have jumped up because they have stopped being produced for the most part. The cheapest 2080 ti I found on PC Part Picker was a crappy blower model at $1,700. A decent 2080 to cost around $2,000 right now. Don’t buy one of those unless you wipe your butt with $100 dollar bills.

The 2080 super is about 10%-17% faster than a 2070 Super. But I wouldn’t buy a 2070 Super if I were you because it’s prettt much a side grade and you wouldn’t be getting the performance bump for the price you’re going to have to pay.

The 2080 Super has also seen its prices jump to around $1,000. The 2070 Super is around $500 right now.

Because you currently have a 1070 I wouldn’t buy anything lower that a 2080 Super but I also wouldn’t pay $1,000 for a 2080 Super. That price is just not worth it.

The new GPUs are releasing(Sept) before Cyber Punk 2077(Nov). Your only options right now, unless you want to throw away money because you can’t wait a few weeks, is to buy a used card. I would wait the few weeks until Nvidia launches their new GPUs on September 1st or get a 5700xt.

The 5700xt is around 25% faster than your 1070 and is a bargain compared to everything Nvidia has that isn’t way over priced because of the upcoming 3000 series GPU launch. The 5700xt is around $400 but you don’t get ray tracing.

Aug 26, 2020
Thanks again for the replies everyone, you're helping me more than you think.

I am definitely going to wait until the release on 1st of sept to see what is what, in particular i might give it another month or so to see how the price of the 20xx series drops due to the 30xx series, As i wouldn't mind buying a 2080ti at a reduced price because everyone is froffing for a 30xx series, My guess is I wouldn't be able to get my hands on a 30xx series until next year some time anyway (due to covid-19, supply and demand and shipping issues) So I MAY just look into upgrading RAM and getting a new screen and running with my 1070 until next year... unless the 20xx series price starts to fall to a point that it's a crime not to buy an upgrade.

I was originally after going for 4k gaming specifically for Cyberpunk 2077, however since originally thinking that i've had a change of heart - I am now on the thought that a 144hz or 240hz QLED would be a good way to experience both the fast refresh rate and great picture quality - Any thoughts on this?

Anyone gamed on a 144hz or 240hz QLED? Is it a worthy upgrade from a Full HD 1080p monitor?
Will a standard 144hz 1440p screen give me better picture quality than my current Full HD 1080p monitor?

Thanks again guys, for reference this is the screen i'm looking at getting, or something simliar. (https://www.centrecom.com.au/samsun...-qled-gaming-monitor-with-1000r-curved-screen)