Question Will 2x8 PCIe to 16-pin cause damage to my components ?

Sep 8, 2023
I have a Corsair SF750 PSU, but that PSU doesn't have PCIe pins for the GPU that I am going to buy (1x16 pin). The GPU that I am going to buy is a 4070, some people recommended me to use a PCIe adapter, but some also said that there's some cases that it'll burn.

You really have few options other than to use the adapter that comes with the video card when you power supply does not also have the new connector. Note nobody calls it a 16 pin connector it is generally called 12VHPWR.

I guess you could buy adapters from third party manufactures but mostly you do that when you want colored cables or you want thing like a right angle cable when you have issue with clearance between your video card and the side of the case.

The burning issue happens even with power supplies that have 12VHPWR cables. There are example of it burning even on the power supply side. It is all related to be very sure the cable is firmly plugged in. All cables and adapters can have this issue if you are not very careful about your installation.

Now I have not followed the details but there is a newer version of this connector that has been redesigned to reduce this problem. I think the 4070 series has the new connector. I would also suspect the adapter that comes in the box also is the new connector. The new and old ones look the same and are backward compatible. There is a way to tell by looking at them but you will have to search.

It really doesn't matter much. Again unless you are going to replace the power supply you will likely just use the adapter that comes with the video card.

Reactions: CountMike
The adapter that will probably come with that card you shouldn't have a problem using, The 4070 doesn't consume nearly as much power as the 4090, and I personally haven't seen any 4070 or even 4080 run into a melting connectors.

The connector doesn't make a vary solid connection well the older style, but it does make a connection, something that will draw a ton of power like the 4090 could have issues, but the 4070 with the not so solid connection should still be enough of a connection to keep the 4070 happy without any issues.

I wouldn't be worried, the 4070 just don't use a ton of power.

But if you are, time to look for a new PSU, thats really the only option at that point.

Good Luck!