Question Will 3 sticks of ram still give me a performance increase?

Mar 13, 2019
So my mobo (Asus b450-f) has a faulty ram slot and yes it is faulty cause I tried both new sticks of ram I got on both the a1 and a2 slots and they both didnt work properly in the a2. Would having a third stick still give me a performance boost (ryzen 2600 chip) or will it actually hurt it even though it'll be 24gbs instead of 16?

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following User Manual link match your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...552.591506752.1575815490-453788094.1569978805

(Do verify.)

You must install RAM with two key considerations:

1) The RAM module specifications supported by the motherboard.

2) The physical placement of supported RAM modules in the memory slots.

(Note: Sometimes the order of insertion matters. Does not appear applicable for your motherboard.)

The User Manual is the guiding document and for your mother board (if I have matched correctly) that information appears on physically numbered Page ix and Pages 1-5 / 1-6.

Note the reference on Page ix to visit the Asus website regarding RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Mar 13, 2019
Yes that's the right one and I was wrong on the slot its b1 thats faulty not a2. As said in the manual it can take up to 64gbs. All four sticks are the exact same and were installed correctly. Is there a way to fix it if it is faulty or to find out if it's truly faulty?
Does the following User Manual link match your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...552.591506752.1575815490-453788094.1569978805

(Do verify.)

You must install RAM with two key considerations:

1) The RAM module specifications supported by the motherboard.

2) The physical placement of supported RAM modules in the memory slots.

(Note: Sometimes the order of insertion matters. Does not appear applicable for your motherboard.)

The User Manual is the guiding document and for your mother board (if I have matched correctly) that information appears on physically numbered Page ix and Pages 1-5 / 1-6.

Note the reference on Page ix to visit the Asus website regarding RAM QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Mar 13, 2019
If you're frequently doing something that requires more than 16GB of RAM, then it would be beneficial. If not, then I wouldn't bother.

-Wolf sends
Even with ryzen? I remember hearing ryzen chips take advantage of larger amounts of memory and memory speed. I've recently been getting into games that are much more demanding (modern warfare and borderlands 3 for example). Would it be beneficial with those or would that be more so dependant on the graphics card?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Even with ryzen? I remember hearing ryzen chips take advantage of larger amounts of memory and memory speed. I've recently been getting into games that are much more demanding (modern warfare and borderlands 3 for example). Would it be beneficial with those or would that be more so dependant on the graphics card?

Games can definitely take advantage of graphics cards with more VRAM, but again, if it never uses it, it's not going to matter. Check your system memory usage while gaming (Task Manager --> Performance tab --> Memory Option). If you're consistently near max on Memory (I'd say if you're consistently over 12GB), then you'd probably want to add the third RAM module. If not, then it's not worth it.

All systems can take advantage of more RAM; up to the point where you have more than enough. AMD Ryzen CPUs like faster RAM. The B450 chip set and Ryzen 2600, I'd be looking at DDR4-3200 RAM.

Ideally, since the motherboard is faulty, I'd be looking at getting it replaced, but if that means you're without a computer, I can understand the reluctance. I'd probably start up a conversation with the ASUS RMA team to see what options you have available.

-Wolf sends

TRENDING THREADS