[SOLVED] Will 5700X bottleneck if it's installed on a PCI express 3.0. motherboard?

atotalnoob2

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
Hi,
I currently have a MSI b450m which is PCI express 3.0. and I wanted to replace my 2600 with a new ryzen 7 and I was thinking whether to buy the 3700x or the 5700x. Will be bottlenecked the 5700x with that MoBo? Will I get better or the same results using the 3700x?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,
I currently have a MSI b50m which is PCI express 3.0. and I wanted to replace my 2600 with a new ryzen 7 and I was thinking whether to buy the 3700x or the 5700x. Will be bottlenecked the 5700x with that MoBo? Will I get better or the same results using the 3700x?
Thanks.GPU with PCIe v 4.0
That must be b350 or b450 because b550 would have PCIe v4.0. Both 3700x and 5700x have v4.0 and that can't bottleneck GPU with PCIe v4.0.What GPU are you talking about, not all are 4.0 and even less would suffer with 3.0 interface ?
So if there0s any bottleneck it would be caused by motherboard.

Reactions: RodroX
This is probably a prime example of where using the term 'bottleneck' is confusing to the point of meaningless.

In general, PCIe gen 4 has yet to be been shown to provide any real benefit to gaming performance except in very specific instances (and even then minor). But there are doubtless specific gaming applications and/or GPU compute applications where maximized PCIe bandwidth would be helpful if not essential. But broadly speaking, no.

As an example, even with all the complaining and whining AMD's RX6500 GPU, which is limited to x4 PCIe lanes vs. the usual x16, has been shown to perform 'well enough' (considering it's other low-end specs) even on PCIe gen 3 motherboards. That said, nobody (let alone me) is suggesting it should be used on anything but a PCIe gen 4 CPU/motherboard so that it at least equals PCIe gen 3 at x8 performance. So...if you're planning on a cheap RX6500 GPU then yes, you should definitely consider getting a B550 (or X570) motherboard to go with the 5700X.

Reactions: CountMike
This is probably a prime example of where using the term 'bottleneck' is confusing to the point of meaningless.

In general, PCIe gen 4 has yet to be been shown to provide any real benefit to gaming performance except in very specific instances (and even then minor). But there are doubtless specific gaming applications and/or GPU compute applications where maximized PCIe bandwidth would be helpful if not essential. But broadly speaking, no.

As an example, even with all the complaining and whining AMD's RX6500 GPU, which is limited to x4 PCIe lanes vs. the usual x16, has been shown to perform 'well enough' (considering it's other low-end specs) even on PCIe gen 3 motherboards. That said, nobody (let alone me) is suggesting it should be used on anything but a PCIe gen 4 CPU/motherboard so that it at least equals PCIe gen 3 at x8 performance. So...if you're planning on a cheap RX6500 GPU then yes, you should definitely consider getting a B550 (or X570) motherboard to go with the 5700X.
Except when you apply the true meaning of bottleneck, The slowest part in the line that natters in that case.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I would definitely reiterate the need to find out the exact motherboard. Not so much for the PCIE issue, but for the fact that Ryzen 5000 CPU compatibility is not a guarantee. For example, the MSI b350m Gaming Pro does not offer Ryzen 5000 BIOS support.

atotalnoob2

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
I would definitely reiterate the need to find out the exact motherboard. Not so much for the PCIE issue, but for the fact that Ryzen 5000 CPU compatibility is not a guarantee. For example, the MSI b350m Gaming Pro does not offer Ryzen 5000 BIOS support.
Yeah, sorry. It's the b450m. Right now have promised compatibility with the 5700x but afaik it haven't released the BIOS update. I'm just asking bc for any reason I ignore in my country the 5700x is currently cheaper than the 3700x and I was thinking in getting that cpu

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
There is now a Beta BIOS for the MSI b350m Gaming Pro 7A39v2P2 that also has the new 1.2.0.7 AGESA. Personally, I would wait until it's out of beta or you see multiple users running Ryzen 5000 processors stably. It also sets secure boot active by default so if you use the BIOS be aware of that.

Last edited:

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Wrong BIOS (wrong chipset).
Also OP hasn't told us precise model name of the board.
It is impossible to locate correct BIOS without knowing board model name first.

It was actually meant for DSzymborski. Not the OP. Post edited for clarification. Additionally, all 3 of main MSI B450m (micro boards) variants are Ryzen 5000 compatible and yes the 5700x would be a great match for the slightly older B450. Difference in performance between a B450 and B550 are negligible as far as GPU performance and PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0. Not even 1 FPS in most instances, NVMe speeds are another matter as far as file transfer of course, but bootup speeds are roughly the same as in less than half a second difference in boot-to-desktop time.

Last edited: