Will 7mm mobile Intel CPU have better thermal than the current ones?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, with the trend of making laptops thin even that is not good for the thermal, we see many laptops suffering from noisy fans and cpu throttling. Some mentioned that the CPUs released this year have the same issues because they have the same 45W TDP. With the 7mm new architecture, will those CPU have better thermal than the current ones? Since they will be available in 2021, is 3-year the least we have to wait to have lightweight laptops without noisy fan issue?

35-45W TDP laptop CPUs have been around since forever. They've always made a lot of heat and have been noisy when taxed. The difference between generations, at least since Broadwell debuted, is they keep adding more clockspeed and recently, more cores to them. Same thermal envelope, more performance.

If you want a quiet(er) laptop, the 15W 4-core models usually aren't too bad, and have most have fantastic battery life to boot...and near the performance of i7-6/7xxxHQ's from a few generations ago.

The cooling solution between different manufacturers or different models within the same mfr can vary immensely. Apple's are generally terrible, but "pretty"; while something like a gaming laptop with the same hardware usually have very nice coolers.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, with the trend of making laptops thin even that is not good for the thermal, we see many laptops suffering from noisy fans and cpu throttling. Some mentioned that the CPUs released this year have the same issues because they have the same 45W TDP. With the 7mm new architecture, will those CPU have better thermal than the current ones? Since they will be available in 2021, is 3-year the least we have to wait to have lightweight laptops without noisy fan issue?
Let me access my time machine, and I'll let you know.
There is absolutely no way to predict that level of performance that far out.
And that will differ in different actual laptop cases/manufacturers. The exact same performance may be cheaper in Laptop A vs Laptop B, simply due to different case config or fan supplier.

However, my current Asus Transformer is absolutely silent. No moving parts, including no fan.
It is, of course, very low powered...:LOL:

If they keep everything the same, everything being equal as economists say, smaller geometry (more room to breathe, able to run with ever lower voltage) should reduce heat signature, but unfortunately vendors usually can't help stuffing more stuff, more features, more transistors onto the new design, which negate the smaller geometry advantage. There will probably be some plus thermal advantage but don't expect a huge improvement, judging from history.

With laptops/desktops, like cars, you make a choice whether you want some nimble, quick response sporty thing vs nice roomy comfy SUV. There is no magic.

Now some laptops make extra effort to make it quiet and long battery lasting between charges, in exchange for performance, i.e. Apple. Linus Tech says so in one of his videos.

From this techie's perspective, if programmers take the time to hand-optimize their codes, Apps can run very well wo a lot of horsepower, but nobody does that, it takes too long to hand-code in Assembly (machine language, FAST!) The economic of it all proper programmers to use reusable and human-maneageble high level codes.