Question Will 8400 gs MSI card be compatible H310 Board / 9400F ?

May 13, 2019
Hi,

I'm tight in budget and upgrading my desktop, I'm looking for 9400F I5 Processor, Gigabyte H310 Board and 8GB 2400 Ram.

9400f doesn' t have discrete graphics and i dont want to go for cheap video card. Currently i'm not going to play any games so i am thinking to use my old MSI 8500GS PCI Express card for time being and upgrade later. Will that be compatible and work with this config?

Thanks in advance

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
considering the price is pretty much the same why not just grab a non f chip and be done with it?

i see a $20 price difference with the 9600k variants. that's hardly a lot to pay to avoid any issues with an old gpu. you can face BIOS issues seeing the card, driver issues depending on what windows version you'll use as well. i'm pretty sure the built in gpu is stronger than that old 8500gs as well. so it's actually an upgrade for almost no cost!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
seeing that i can see the appeal. makes sense with it being so much cheaper than the others.

biggest issue with new motherboards and older cards is the BIOS. if you can turn on legacy mode and avoid UEFI, then it will likely work if the drivers for it exist. otherwise with UEFI, it may not even be recognized. really is hit or miss whether it will work. you may get lucky or you may have to get something newer to use.

for me it's been about 50/50 getting something like this to work. basically depends on legacy BIOS working.