[SOLVED] Will 850W likely be enough?

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
This is a fairly vague question as there are unknown factors like my CPU in the upcoming build but I always get pretty concerned or anxious regarding my PSU being enough.

I plan to have either a Zen 3 chip or Rocket Lake (top of the line 4900 or i9) and a 3080 like everyone and their mother.

I've seen lots of people recommending a 750W PSU like Nvidia has. I've also seen people saying that you should get 1000W to be safe if you want to overclock at all. Would I be safe with 850W? Is it worth it to spring for the extra power?

I understand this is highly speculative given the unknown specs of future CPU's I just wanted to get some thoughts from those of you who have more knowledge than I do. I'm probably needlessly concerned or paranoid about it anyway!

Solution
I would likely be going with Seasonic. The plan is to get the best components available.

Seasonic Focus PX-850 is one I've seen.

Then yes, 850W would be more than sufficient.
When it comes to something like a Seasonic PX, a 750W unit would be sufficient abd 850W would be an even better choice.

As far as Platinum vs Gold etc and 'best components available' - unless you live somewhere with extremely high electricity costs, you're not going to save the price delta in energy savings in most scenarios.

For what it's worth - definitely don't buy the unit you linked, at least, not at that price!!

The Focus+ Gold 850W is <$200, and 'normally' <$150...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I would likely be going with Seasonic. The plan is to get the best components available.

Seasonic Focus PX-850 is one I've seen.

When it comes to something like a Seasonic PX, a 750W unit would be sufficient abd 850W would be an even better choice.

As far as Platinum vs Gold etc and 'best components available' - unless you live somewhere with extremely high electricity costs, you're not going to save the price delta in energy savings in most scenarios.

For what it's worth - definitely don't buy the unit you linked, at least, not at that price!!

The Focus+ Gold 850W is <$200, and 'normally' <$150.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jW...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850fx

Heck, even the Prime Ultra Titanium is ~$235
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ny...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850tr

Solution

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014

The Focus+ Gold 850W is <$200, and 'normally' <$150.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jW...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850fx

Heck, even the Prime Ultra Titanium is ~$235
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ny...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850tr
Thank you so much for all the information and recommendations.

It's my understanding then that gold vs plat is really just about efficiency and shouldn't affect longevity of the system? it's not an indicator of quality?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's my understanding then that gold vs plat is really just about efficiency and shouldn't affect longevity of the system? it's not an indicator of quality?

Correct. 80+ ratings are an efficiency qualification and nothing more. They can be a very loose indicator in the higher end (far fewer junk Platinum or Titanium units vs Bronze, for example - although there are far fewer Platinum or Titanium units relative to Bronze to begin with), but it certainly cannot be taken as a measure of quality in isolation.

And no, Platinum vs Gold etc (in isolation) will have no impact on longevity of any component or the system overall.