Will a 10/100mbps coupler affect speeds from a gigabit modem/Cat5e connection?

lreyes66

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Ok i bought a 25ft cat5e cable to run around my room from my comcast modem to desktop. According to windows i have speeds of 1gbps but to be realistic only getting 80mbps download speeds according to speed test.

I bought a newer bigger case for my desktop and the few inches higher ethernet port is a tight reach, since i already secured the cat5e cable against the wall on the floor. I work part-time for best buy and can get the only rj-45 coupler they have for like $1, but what bothers me is that the speed is rather 10/100. So if i decide to get the coupler to relieve the tension, will it affect my internet speeds?

USAFRet

Titan

So yeah...you probably have a 100 up/xx down cable or FiOS connection.
A 10/100 device will not matter for that, but it will limit your internal connections between devices.

The vast majority of rj45 coupler have all 8 pins coupled between the cables. This will allow 1g. Only reason I could see they mark it as 10/100 is if they only have some of the pins carried though.

If it does not have all 8 pins I would just buy one of the many hundreds of device from some other vendor. $1 is the pretty standard price for those.

TRENDING THREADS