Will a 1060 6GB make a good PhysX card in 2-5 years? Future proofing.

hemipepsis5p

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hello!

Is it likely that the 1060 6GB will work as some sort of PhysX card for the 2080's after Cannon Lake launches? I am working with 3ds Max and Unity3d. I am big on future proofing (keeping the 1060 6GB for 3-5 years into the future). I know DX12 can use two different (in some cases in the future, even AMD/Nvidia) GPU's simultaneously. Even if the PhysX scenario is worthless, how about running a 2080 and 1060 6GB together in about 3-5 years?

Thanks for any help.

Well unless you have some sort of specific graphic application that can make use of multiple gpus of different chipset then I can't see much use of using the 1060. What you are referring to with DX12 was explicit multi-gpu and as far as I know the only game to support it what so ever is Ashes of the singularity (the guinea pig of dx12). There have been no attempts that I know of to proceed further with that particular feature. Also with PhysX the games that make use of it are far and few inbetween and even then its a mix bag-some games do see benefit in HEAVY physX scenarios where as others see a performance degradation.

Rogue Leader

Titan
PhysiX scenario is worthless, games haven't supported that feature for a very long time.

As for Pairing cards for DX12, games have to physically support it. As of now only a few games support it, I would NOT buy hardware based on support for this feature. It requires programming in game to work, and is sparsely used now, as I said I wouldn't spend money on it.

hemipepsis5p

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Did you read my post? You realize I don't expect concurrent GPU use until at least 2 years from now, right?

Rogue Leader

Titan

I did read your post. MultiGPU in DX12 has been out for a while and has barely been implemented. The reality is to use it its a lot of dev work for not very many use cases, so developers don't do it. I would not spend the money now or then on the chance that devs suddenly decide lets spend a ton of time to make things better for the 1% of the gaming population that has 2 GPUs.

Using a dedicated PhysiX card has been a dead feature for years, heck even SLI and Crossfire are only tangentially supported these days, because theres a lot of downsides and very few people actually use it.