Will a 1060 6GB make a good PhysX card in 2-5 years? Future proofing.

hemipepsis5p

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hello!

Is it likely that the 1060 6GB will work as some sort of PhysX card for the 2080's after Cannon Lake launches? I am working with 3ds Max and Unity3d. I am big on future proofing (keeping the 1060 6GB for 3-5 years into the future). I know DX12 can use two different (in some cases in the future, even AMD/Nvidia) GPU's simultaneously. Even if the PhysX scenario is worthless, how about running a 2080 and 1060 6GB together in about 3-5 years?

Thanks for any help.

Solution

I did read your post. MultiGPU in DX12 has been out for a while and has barely been implemented. The reality is to use it its a lot of dev work for not very many use cases, so developers don't do it. I would not spend the money now or then on the...
Well unless you have some sort of specific graphic application that can make use of multiple gpus of different chipset then I can't see much use of using the 1060. What you are referring to with DX12 was explicit multi-gpu and as far as I know the only game to support it what so ever is Ashes of the singularity (the guinea pig of dx12). There have been no attempts that I know of to proceed further with that particular feature. Also with PhysX the games that make use of it are far and few inbetween and even then its a mix bag-some games do see benefit in HEAVY physX scenarios where as others see a performance degradation.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
PhysiX scenario is worthless, games haven't supported that feature for a very long time.

As for Pairing cards for DX12, games have to physically support it. As of now only a few games support it, I would NOT buy hardware based on support for this feature. It requires programming in game to work, and is sparsely used now, as I said I wouldn't spend money on it.

hemipepsis5p

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Did you read my post? You realize I don't expect concurrent GPU use until at least 2 years from now, right?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I did read your post. MultiGPU in DX12 has been out for a while and has barely been implemented. The reality is to use it its a lot of dev work for not very many use cases, so developers don't do it. I would not spend the money now or then on the chance that devs suddenly decide lets spend a ton of time to make things better for the 1% of the gaming population that has 2 GPUs.

Using a dedicated PhysiX card has been a dead feature for years, heck even SLI and Crossfire are only tangentially supported these days, because theres a lot of downsides and very few people actually use it.

Solution