Will a 1070 be bottlenecked by a i5-4690K?

Nov 18, 2018
Hey everyone.

I am currently about to upgrade to a GTX 1070 from my current 970, but am worried that it will be bottlenecked by my i5-4690K. My monitor is only 60hz, and from what I've heard it generally only bottlenecks with a 144hz monitor, but was still curious anyway.

Thank you!

Solution

I'd agree with ChumP. I wouldn't say a bottleneck necessarily, but in some CPU dependant games your CPU will max out, and you will experience some stuttering. Getting a 6 core CPU from Intel or AMD will help alleviate that. The GTX1070 is a monster for 1080p so having a decent CPU to drive it will help. The i5 4690k is still a decent gamer, and in some games you won't have any issues. But for any new AAA games like BF V for example you won't enjoy...

I'd agree with ChumP. I wouldn't say a bottleneck necessarily, but in some CPU dependant games your CPU will max out, and you will experience some stuttering. Getting a 6 core CPU from Intel or AMD will help alleviate that. The GTX1070 is a monster for 1080p so having a decent CPU to drive it will help. The i5 4690k is still a decent gamer, and in some games you won't have any issues. But for any new AAA games like BF V for example you won't enjoy it too much, and a better CPU would get more FPS and a smoother experience.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Not a significant bottleneck (would be some, depending on the game, but not a ton), but I'm not sure it makes sense as a purchase. It doesn't really future-proof 1080p/60, because by the time you really need a GTX 1070 rather than a GTX 970/GTX 1060 for 1080p/60, the cost for equivalent performance to the GTX 1070 will be less. A 1070 only really makes sense if you have a need right now that the 970/1060 can't provide as well, meaning 1080/120 or 1440/60.

Nov 18, 2018

Thank you for the answers everyone.
In response to DSzymborski, one of the main reasons I’m going for a 1070 rather than something cheaper like a 1060ti is because I’m currently really desperate for an upgrade to something that’ll be able to run all of the latest games at their fullest settings, and for the extra VRAM.
Again, thank you for the help guys.

TRENDING THREADS