[SOLVED] Will a 1070 Ti be bottlenecked by a Ryzen 7 3800XT ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Notion behind the question, will running a slower gpu with a cpu more capable give underside performance? No.

Slower gpu will run at it's full potential. Is it a waste having a more capable cpu then? No, there's more to game code than just the graphics card, newer games requiring newer instruction sets or more threads.

Is it worth the cpu upgrade? Depends what you're upgrading from.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Notion behind the question, will running a slower gpu with a cpu more capable give underside performance? No.

Slower gpu will run at it's full potential. Is it a waste having a more capable cpu then? No, there's more to game code than just the graphics card, newer games requiring newer instruction sets or more threads.

Is it worth the cpu upgrade? Depends what you're upgrading from.

All that CPU power will be wasted if the graphics card can't make use of it. Again, the GPU is a bottleneck when paired with that CPU. What don't you understand about that?

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I have a 1070 ti with a r5 2600.I said if i ever upgrade cpu i would upgrade gpu because this is what you call a perfect combo.With lower end gpu's it doesn't matter about the cpu's as explained by steve from hardware unboxed.You may see a little difference as the 1070ti is faster than an rx580(there test card)But personally i won't get anything higher than a 3600x because it will be a waste but with that being said....With FSR working on older gpu's as well,1070ti would be able to do some 1440p gaming in which the cpu are less important as you get gpu bound.

All that CPU power will be wasted if the graphics card can't make use of it. Again, the GPU is a bottleneck when paired with that CPU. What don't you understand about that?
When a cpu limits game performance there is little you can do to improve performance. When the gpu limits performance you can reduce game settings or resolution. It’s also not uncommon for a cpu to last 1 or 2 gpu upgrades. When building a system to last several years there is no harm going with a cpu that exceeds your needs today.

Reactions: RodroX and boju
The answer to the original question largely depends on the resolution of your screen, as well as what kinds of games and settings you are targeting.

At higher resolutions like 1440p and above, a 1070 Ti would often be the limiting factor as far as performance goes in recent, graphically demanding titles running at higher settings. And over the coming years, it may become less than ideal for running many new releases even at 1080p without turning the graphics options down a fair amount, as games shift to targeting the new generation of consoles and newer PC hardware. For the time being, it will probably be decent enough though.

Since it sounds like you already have the 1070 Ti, it may be worth sticking with it for now, since the prices and availability of graphics cards have been terrible for a number of months due to a major shortage, and it will likely take a while for them to recover. Anything worth upgrading to is going to be hard to find for anyone not willing to pay over double MSRP.

Yes, they do. That CPU is capable of driving a much faster video card to higher framerates than what the 1070Ti is capable of. That is what a GPU bottleneck is.
And that's no fault of the CPU. That's a fault of the GPU being too slow.

If a car manufacturer isn't producing enough cars, does it make sense to say it's bottlenecking the nearby steel mill? No, because the steel mill's output isn't affected by how many cars can be produced.

I was wondering if my 1070ti would be bottlenecked by a ryzen 7 3800xt

The beter question will be: I was wondering if my 1070ti would be bottlenecked limited somehow by a ryzen 7 3800xt?

And the answer (in my humble opinion) is probably not, not even at 1080p. Unless of course you play old/really old games and at low settings, just then you may see a limitation. But the 3800XT is plenty enough and fast enough.

Depending on the CPU you currently have, and the reoslution and games you play, you may indeed get an increase in performance with the 3800XT using your GTX1070TI.

Cheers