[SOLVED] Will a 2 memory channel processor supports only 2 RAM sticks or it can support 4 RAM stick

Aug 21, 2020
I am planning to build a pc with AMD Ryzen 3 3200 G. In its specification it shows it has 2 memory channel. I am confused whether I should buy 2 sticks of 16 GB RAM kit or 4 sticks of 8 GB RAM kit.
I am building it with
Gigabyte B450M DS3H

Please reply soon.....

Last edited:
Solution
What is the rest of your prospective build parts list?
What is the main use for this pc?

Be very careful picking ram for this processor.
While 3600 speed is possible on the motherboard, the picasso(3200g) processors can not handle that.
Ram speed support depends on the processor installed.
Pick a ram kit from the QVL support list:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b450m-ds3h_picasso.pdf

I would presume that you will be using integrated graphics.
In which case, buy the fastest ram you can.

If you will use, or ever use a discrete graphics card, you might do better to not pay extra for integrated graphics.
I am planning to build a pc with AMD Ryzen 3 3200 G. In its specification it shows it has 2 memory channel. I am confused whether I should buy 2 sticks of 16 GB RAM kit or 4 sticks of 8 GB RAM kit.

Please reply soon.....
If you want 32Gb total get one 32Gb kit with two 16Gb matched DIMM's for optimum performance.

Four sticks may not work if your motherboard has two DIMM sockets, or if it does have four sockets not as well because it's harder to get higher clocks in that configuration. High memory clock speed is very desirable for APU graphics performance.

Last edited:
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
ryzen will operate in the same dual channel mode if you install a kit with 2 or 4 ram sticks.
To insure compatibility, look at the ram qvl support list for the motherboard in question.
Ryzen is tightly tied to ram.
Performance is better with faster ram.

Aug 21, 2020
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
ryzen will operate in the same dual channel mode if you install a kit with 2 or 4 ram sticks.
To insure compatibility, look at the ram qvl support list for the motherboard in question.
Ryzen is tightly tied to ram.
Performance is better with faster ram.
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
It has 4 RAM slots.

What is the rest of your prospective build parts list?
What is the main use for this pc?

Be very careful picking ram for this processor.
While 3600 speed is possible on the motherboard, the picasso(3200g) processors can not handle that.
Ram speed support depends on the processor installed.
Pick a ram kit from the QVL support list:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b450m-ds3h_picasso.pdf

I would presume that you will be using integrated graphics.
In which case, buy the fastest ram you can.

If you will use, or ever use a discrete graphics card, you might do better to not pay extra for integrated graphics.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
As said above yes your motherboard is dual channel as is pretty much every AMD motherboard. As recommended above grab a dual stick kit for dual channel. In the future you can add to more sticks and fill all four slots for dual channel once again. 👨🏽‍🦲✌