[SOLVED] Will a 280HZ monitor be compatible with a GTX 970 graphics card?

AleksanderTG

Prominent
Aug 21, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a plan to buy a new monitor which will be the:

Asus 25" gaming monitor TUF VG259QM

However, I have some concerns regarding my pc specs, if it is compatible with my graphics card GTX 970 and that is why I want to hear some of your experience or opinions if this will be a good choice or if I have to be aware of something.

Here are more details about my computer specs:

MSI Z97-G43 (MS-7816)

Intel Core i5 4690K 4 threads - 3.5 GHz (Runs 4.1 GHz) (Not overclocked)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB VRAM

16 GB RAM HyperX

OS Windows 10

Solution
The monitor will work via DisplayPort, though keep in mind 280Hz is an overclocked refresh rate.

The other issue is with such a system you are unlikely to hit framerates high enough to really benefit from the 240+Hz unless you are playing something very lightweight like Counterstrike or League of Legends. The GTX 970 isn't that fast anymore even at 1080p, and even with a faster GPU you are likely to hit a CPU bottleneck with a 4690k in a lot of games when shooting for such a high framerate.
The monitor will work via DisplayPort, though keep in mind 280Hz is an overclocked refresh rate.

The other issue is with such a system you are unlikely to hit framerates high enough to really benefit from the 240+Hz unless you are playing something very lightweight like Counterstrike or League of Legends. The GTX 970 isn't that fast anymore even at 1080p, and even with a faster GPU you are likely to hit a CPU bottleneck with a 4690k in a lot of games when shooting for such a high framerate.

Reactions: dorsai
Solution

AleksanderTG

Prominent
Aug 21, 2020

Thanks for the answer, I am mostly playing counter strike.

So you would not recommend that monitor? And when you say its a overclocked refresh rate does that imply that it has shorter lifetime or? :)

What would you recommend if you had to choose? :)

Thanks for the answer, I am mostly playing counter strike.

So you would not recommend that monitor? And when you say its a overclocked refresh rate does that imply that it has shorter lifetime or? :)

What would you recommend if you had to choose? :)

If you're mainly playing Counterstrike and can actually achieve 240FPS fairly consistently then maybe it's worthwhile getting if you're really into that game.

As for monitor overclocking, the big issue with is often the pixel response times get a lot worse and you can often get more ghosting using the overclocked refresh rate. You'd have to try it for yourself if you get it but if the ghosting is bad at 280Hz you may be better off just going down to 240Hz with less ghosting in motion.

AleksanderTG

Prominent
Aug 21, 2020
If you're mainly playing Counterstrike and can actually achieve 240FPS fairly consistently then maybe it's worthwhile getting if you're really into that game.

As for monitor overclocking, the big issue with is often the pixel response times get a lot worse and you can often get more ghosting using the overclocked refresh rate. You'd have to try it for yourself if you get it but if the ghosting is bad at 280Hz you may be better off just going down to 240Hz with less ghosting in motion.

After some research and your advice, I will go with the
BenQ ZOWIE 25" DyAc LED XL2546
1920x1080, 240hz, 1ms, 1000:1, Pivot, DVI/2xHDMI/DP