[SOLVED] Will a 3 pin aio pump connector work on the 4 pin CPU_OPT header

Feb 11, 2022
i bought a 240mm aio, id cooling zoomflow 240x, the pump uses a sata connector, but has a 3pin header, the sata is just attached to the 3 pin, if i plug the pump power connector through sata, i wont be able to control the pump speed right?, and if i plug in the 3pin header on the 4pin CPU_OPT connector on my asus motherboard(b550m tuf gaming) will that make the pump controllable? www.idcooling.com/Support/faq

Last edited:
Solution
You're headed the right way. The design of this system (like many) wants the PUMP to run full speed all the time, and the RAD FANS' speeds to be controlled by the CPU_FAN header. BOTH of those headers should be configured to use PWM Mode - not Auto or DC or Voltage. (You may not have a choice to configure those two headers separately, because CPU_OPT is just supposed to be a complete mirror of CPU_FAN.) When you plug the pump's 3-pin motor connector into the CPU_OPT header (and do not use the SATA connection cable) is uses a quirk of the design of the new 4-pin PWM fan system. If the CPU_OPT header is using the new PWM Mode, when you plug the motor in that way its speed can NOT be controlled by the header and it always runs full speed...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
i bought a 240mm aio, id cooling zoomflow 240x, the pump uses a sata connector, but has a 3pin header, the sata is just attached to the 3 pin, if i plug the pump power connector through sata, i wont be able to control the pump speed right?, and if i plug in the 3pin header on the 4pin CPU_OPT connector on my asus motherboard(b550m tuf gaming) will that make the pump controllable? www.idcooling.com/Support/faq
The pump should be running 100% anyhow and the rad fans vary.

Feb 11, 2022
View: https://youtu.be/o_MP_ooQJ0U
i just found this video, on step 6 it shows that yes my aio 3pin pump header can connect to the 4pin cpu_opt on the motherboard and sata is optional, for my build i'll probably use the cpu_opt on the motherboard. thanks to those who replied, this is my first time building a pc and my first time using an aio :]].

first pc build is optimized for 3d rendering for school and gaming
pc build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/62NwPX

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're headed the right way. The design of this system (like many) wants the PUMP to run full speed all the time, and the RAD FANS' speeds to be controlled by the CPU_FAN header. BOTH of those headers should be configured to use PWM Mode - not Auto or DC or Voltage. (You may not have a choice to configure those two headers separately, because CPU_OPT is just supposed to be a complete mirror of CPU_FAN.) When you plug the pump's 3-pin motor connector into the CPU_OPT header (and do not use the SATA connection cable) is uses a quirk of the design of the new 4-pin PWM fan system. If the CPU_OPT header is using the new PWM Mode, when you plug the motor in that way its speed can NOT be controlled by the header and it always runs full speed, as it is intended to do.

Solution