Question Will a 3080 Ti work in my current build?

MelpomeneTears

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Memory: 32GB DDR4 (2X16GB)
PSU: Corsair RM750x

I recently needed to get a new motherboard and purchased a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero. For some reason, my RTX 2070 video card would not work with the new motherboard, but my spouse's RTX 2060 did. I'm thinking of upgrading to an RTX 3080 Ti, but I'm worried it won't work in the pc.

I've found places that say the board can use a 3080 and a 3090 but nothing about a 3080 Ti. And truthfully, I still don't know why my 2070 doesn't work in it.

Building and working on my own PC is very new to me, I'm just learning so any assistance would be appreicated.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
There is no reason I can come up with why your gpu would not work with your new motherboard aside from the motherboard being faulty. Gpu runs/plugs into pcie slot which is backwards compatible so even if you have an older gpu which runs on pcie v.2/3 you should be able to plug it into a motherboard capable of pcie v.3/4.
I'd RMA the motherboard instantly, one thing you can check is motherboard manual, there is a tab mentioning in which port you should plug the gpu in single/dual and other configs, if you do it by the book and still fail I'd say that motherboard is faulty.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Memory: 32GB DDR4 (2X16GB)
PSU: Corsair RM750x

I recently needed to get a new motherboard and purchased a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero. For some reason, my RTX 2070 video card would not work with the new motherboard, but my spouse's RTX 2060 did. I'm thinking of upgrading to an RTX 3080 Ti, but I'm worried it won't work in the pc.

I've found places that say the board can use a 3080 and a 3090 but nothing about a 3080 Ti. And truthfully, I still don't know why my 2070 doesn't work in it.

Building and working on my own PC is very new to me, I'm just learning so any assistance would be appreicated.
does your 2070 work no your spouse's build? even just a normal boot?

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It would be good to provide more details on the 2070 that doesn't work, like:
-what was it doing before it stopped responding.
-what happens when you turn the PC on now. Visual symptoms: no signal, lines across the screen, artifacts... do the card's LEDs stay on? ... do the card's fans come on at all?

Did you reinstall Windows after that motherboard replacement and update its chipset, sata, lan, audio drivers?

Reactions: Koekieezz

MelpomeneTears

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
The 2070 works fine in my spouse's build. The 2070 was originally mine. When I got the new motherboard (the Crosshair) it no longer worked in my PC for some reason. So, I swapped with my spouse. I put their 2060 into mine and it worked fine and I put my 2070 into their computer and it worked fine.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I just changed my 2080 super to 3080, and it is working flawlessly ( on 2 PCs, my son's and mine).

Because I do have the same MB as you, I am very curious for the solution.

But, sorry to say, no idea, what can be the cause for this behaviour. It it were the other way round ( f.i. 2070 to 3080), than it might be the PSU. But that's not your situaion.

Not very original hint: could be BIOS-update might help.

But you should answer questions of Phaaze88.

MelpomeneTears

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
The 2070 works fine in my spouse's build with no problems.

When I put the Crosshair motherboard in my computer I installed Windows 11 and updated all the drivers, and updated Bios as well as I thought that might be the problem with the 2070.

I tried the 2070 in both slots for the Crosshair and it didn't work. The fans came on both times, but there was no signal.

I checked the Display port cord, it was fine. I tried an HDMI cord, still nothing. I reseated the RAM as someone suggested it might not be seated properly. Still the 2070 didn't work.

My spouse has had no issues with the 2070. And, I've had no issues with the 2060. I just can't figure out why the 2070 doesn't work in my rig, but works fine in my spouse's.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 2 cards use the same driver, so that's not it.
I've read about cases when a gpu isn't recognized in the primary slot, move it to the secondary slot(which is run by the chipset), it'll get recognized, and then work in the primary. That's not working here either though.

The card's installed directly into the motherboard, yes?
Not using any anti-sag devices?
I can only guess that something's a bit off with that Crosshair board based on the behaviors exhibited with the 2060 and 2070 between the Crosshair and your spouse's board.

TRENDING THREADS