Question Will a 5 speed transmission from a 94-95 5.0l mustang fit a 2001 3.8l v6 motor?

Darkbreeze

Titan
It doesn't matter what the car is OUT OF, it matters what the transmission model is, whether it is a standard or automatic transmission (Yes, there are five speed automatic transmissions these days, and of course there are a few oddball auto shift models as well) and if it's a manual/standard transmission then it matters what the bell housing pattern is if it is a model with interchangeable bell housings.

Knowing the exact model and bell housing pattern for the transmission AND for what is required for the vehicle and engine it is going into are what is needed. Knowing just what the car model and year are, are worthless when it comes to transmissions and interchangeability.

The "no" answers I see here are (No offense intended) unsupported with any proof as to why they say no, and that's not a valid way to answer this question because unlike just about everything else, transmissions can potentially have MANY different engines and MANY different years, with an extended number of years between the first and last years they have fitment for, that they potentially offer fitment with.

jimmysmitty

Champion
It doesn't matter what the car is OUT OF, it matters what the transmission model is, whether it is a standard or automatic transmission (Yes, there are five speed automatic transmissions these days, and of course there are a few oddball auto shift models as well) and if it's a manual/standard transmission then it matters what the bell housing pattern is if it is a model with interchangeable bell housings.

Knowing the exact model and bell housing pattern for the transmission AND for what is required for the vehicle and engine it is going into are what is needed. Knowing just what the car model and year are, are worthless when it comes to transmissions and interchangeability.

The "no" answers I see here are (No offense intended) unsupported with any proof as to why they say no, and that's not a valid way to answer this question because unlike just about everything else, transmissions can potentially have MANY different engines and MANY different years, with an extended number of years between the first and last years they have fitment for, that they potentially offer fitment with.
Considering the swaps I have seen done on some cars (5.0l in a 2 door Focus hatchback or more recent a Coyote V8 in a Fusion redone to RWD) I would agree with you. There is a lot to it but a better place would be a car forum with gearheads over techies.

Just to help the OP, I am going to assume he is talking about the 3.8l V6 Ford had. In 1994 to 1995 they used the 3.8l and 5.0l engines and both had the Borg Werner/ Tremec T5. The 2001 Mustang moved to the Tremec TR-3650. I don't think they are interchangeable.

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Transmissions-What-Transmission-V8-Mustang

USAFRet

Titan

Darkbreeze

Titan
Not only that, but the gearboxes are OFTEN interchangeable even across manufacturer lines, such as with the T5, which was also used in a number of Chevrolet products like the 80's S10 pickups. My 85 S10 had the Borg Warner T5 and the only difference between that unit and what was used in the Ford products was the bellhousing (Changeable) and the tailshaft housing and tailshaft (Different length. Also interchangeable.)

None of which is probably for an inexperienced weekend warrior.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS