Question Will a 5 speed transmission from a 94-95 5.0l mustang fit a 2001 3.8l v6 motor?

It doesn't matter what the car is OUT OF, it matters what the transmission model is, whether it is a standard or automatic transmission (Yes, there are five speed automatic transmissions these days, and of course there are a few oddball auto shift models as well) and if it's a manual/standard transmission then it matters what the bell housing pattern is if it is a model with interchangeable bell housings.

Knowing the exact model and bell housing pattern for the transmission AND for what is required for the vehicle and engine it is going into are what is needed. Knowing just what the car model and year are, are worthless when it comes to transmissions and interchangeability.

The "no" answers I see here are (No offense intended) unsupported with any proof as to why they say no, and that's not a valid way to answer this question because unlike just about everything else, transmissions can potentially have MANY different engines and MANY different years, with an extended number of years between the first and last years they have fitment for, that they potentially offer fitment with.

It doesn't matter what the car is OUT OF, it matters what the transmission model is, whether it is a standard or automatic transmission (Yes, there are five speed automatic transmissions these days, and of course there are a few oddball auto shift models as well) and if it's a manual/standard transmission then it matters what the bell housing pattern is if it is a model with interchangeable bell housings.

Knowing the exact model and bell housing pattern for the transmission AND for what is required for the vehicle and engine it is going into are what is needed. Knowing just what the car model and year are, are worthless when it comes to transmissions and interchangeability.

The "no" answers I see here are (No offense intended) unsupported with any proof as to why they say no, and that's not a valid way to answer this question because unlike just about everything else, transmissions can potentially have MANY different engines and MANY different years, with an extended number of years between the first and last years they have fitment for, that they potentially offer fitment with.

Considering the swaps I have seen done on some cars (5.0l in a 2 door Focus hatchback or more recent a Coyote V8 in a Fusion redone to RWD) I would agree with you. There is a lot to it but a better place would be a car forum with gearheads over techies.

Just to help the OP, I am going to assume he is talking about the 3.8l V6 Ford had. In 1994 to 1995 they used the 3.8l and 5.0l engines and both had the Borg Werner/ Tremec T5. The 2001 Mustang moved to the Tremec TR-3650. I don't think they are interchangeable.

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Transmissions-What-Transmission-V8-Mustang

Not only that, but the gearboxes are OFTEN interchangeable even across manufacturer lines, such as with the T5, which was also used in a number of Chevrolet products like the 80's S10 pickups. My 85 S10 had the Borg Warner T5 and the only difference between that unit and what was used in the Ford products was the bellhousing (Changeable) and the tailshaft housing and tailshaft (Different length. Also interchangeable.)

None of which is probably for an inexperienced weekend warrior.

Pradz Kindmeadows

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Yes there was article I know that Tremec T-5 w/c is transmission fitted to 94-94 Mustang can fit to a 2001 3.8 v6 motor just check if has the right bell housing because T-5 tend to have separate bell housing and don't if a bolt pattern of mustang T-5 would fit on a 3.8 v6

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes there was article I know that Tremec T-5 w/c is transmission fitted to 94-94 Mustang can fit to a 2001 3.8 v6 motor just check if has the right bell housing because T-5 tend to have separate bell housing and don't if a bolt pattern of mustang T-5 would fit on a 3.8 v6
yeah, a Tremec can, but not just a Ford unit

Pradz Kindmeadows

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Actually there is Mustang model that would fit to your question and that is the SN95 mustang models since those models have the combo your looking for which 3.8L V6 also know as OHV ESSEX V6 fitted to T-5 transmission.

Traditionally, in the past, none of the major manufacturers actually MADE their own transmissions. They used transmissions from gearbox manufacturers like Borg Warner, Allison, etc.

Only in the recent past and present have they begun making their own transmissions for the most part. Aside from a very few exceptions, and on automatic transmissions that don't have removable bell housings, the bell housing and the tail shaft are the determining factors on whether a given gear box can be used with a specific vehicle or engine or not. And even in those cases, sometimes there are compatible bell housings or output shaft housings that can be swapped to make it compatible. Much depends on the year and model of the vehicle and engine.

In the case of this thread, it's doubtful that there are any "Ford" transmissions that are relevant to the discussion, because it's likely that the transmissions for both of the vehicles mentioned would not be Ford specific gear boxes.

And here am thinking motors and trans are two independent systems right, the motor, no matter what model/HP just turns, and the trans take those turns and "translates" to what the wheels can use, and all of them have a standard coupling? APPARENTLY NOT! :( am guessing too doesn't stop anybody with a torch and lots of time and patience.

USAFRet

Titan
And here am thinking motors and trans are two independent systems right, the motor, no matter what model/HP just turns, and the trans take those turns and "translates" to what the wheels can use, and all of them have a standard coupling? APPARENTLY NOT! :( am guessing too doesn't stop anybody with a torch and lots of time and patience.
Yes they are two different things. But not 100% compatible/interchangeable.

Like the CPU and motherboard.
You can't use an AMD CPU in an Intel motherboard. You can't even use all Intel CPUs on all Intel motherboards.

However, it's also OPPOSITE of that example using the same type of reference since you CAN use an Intel CPU in an ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI (Among others) motherboard. And much the same, transmissions might be used in a variety of different makes as well. Variables like different bell housing, different input shaft, different extension housing and different output shaft, make make the same gearbox usable in fifteen or twenty different makes of vehicle and a variety of models all with different engine sizes. The T5 is a good example of that. It has been used in MANY makes and models. But that doesn't mean you can just take it out of one vehicle and put it directly in another without having the correct bell housing, splineage on on the input shaft (To match the clutch used), shifter housing and linkage (Or shifter), output shaft length (And splines. To match the slip yoke on the drive shaft). and on, and on.......

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Will a 5 speed transmission from a 94-95 5.0l mustang fit a 2001 3.8l v6 motor?

Thank you

Will a T5 from a 1994-1995 mustang fit a 2001 Mustang 3.8L motor?

Yes, but you will a conversion kit or spacer plate to accommodate the longer input shaft. You will also need to modify the shifter and know that 1st and 5th gear are going to be slightly off.

Like the CPU and motherboard.
You can't use an AMD CPU in an Intel motherboard. You can't even use all Intel CPUs on all Intel motherboards.
Well, these, every new CPU they put more pins on them, necessitating a denser socket.

Engines' output is a shaft to me, a shaft is a shaft, maybe am too green to discern the difference.