Will a 6 core Vishera fit in a 4 core Vishera AMD AM3+ socket

fierce phoenix

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
I am wondering if I can replace my AMD FX4300 3.8GHz Vishera Line With a 6 core CPU of the Vishera Line. Why?

Well I keep getting WHEA Uncorrectable error so did a complete dump

ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+25c22d fffff803`0e08a000 fffff803`0e913000 0x00889000 0x597fd80d 07/31/2017 09:23:25 PM

hal.dll hal.dll+395cf fffff803`0e00e000 fffff803`0e08a000 0x0007c000 0xf0cd6e34 01/08/2098 12:48:52 AM

So after looking it up 7 times and picking the most common problem it appears to be the CPU!
This system was bought about 2 months ago at Best Buy So I am hoping they will fix it for free. Lawd I hope I took out that warranty. If not I plan to just upgrade the CPU. I usually deal with Intel so not really familiar with sockets on the AMD side.
=========================================================================

Update :
So looked up the board
GA-78LMT-S2 (Socket M2)
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
Chipset model : 780G
SO how can a Socket M2 board support a Socket AM3+ (942) CPU?

=========================================================================

Apparently contacting Gigabyte and this mobo doesn't fully support drivers for Windows 10. They have basically all but recommended I go back to Windows 7. How can you sell a computer system when the Mobo doesn't support the OS drivers... lawd.

I am lost on AMD!

Solution
As long as they use the same socket, you're OK. CPU's in the same series aren't built with a different number of cores. There's a process called binning. If they find a couple of cores not up to specifications in the testing process, they'll disable those cores and put them in a different bin and sell the part as one with a lower core count. So 8,6,4 and 2 core parts all come from the same manufacturing process and are started out on the same die but due to manufacturing variables one silicon wafer may produce better or worse results in the individual processors. Rather than scrap them all they use what they can that meets specs and disable the bad cores. Intel works the same way.

Depends on the board, if it will accept a 4core then it will most likely accept a 6 core. Look up the CPU compatibility list for your boards model number.

As long as they use the same socket, you're OK. CPU's in the same series aren't built with a different number of cores. There's a process called binning. If they find a couple of cores not up to specifications in the testing process, they'll disable those cores and put them in a different bin and sell the part as one with a lower core count. So 8,6,4 and 2 core parts all come from the same manufacturing process and are started out on the same die but due to manufacturing variables one silicon wafer may produce better or worse results in the individual processors. Rather than scrap them all they use what they can that meets specs and disable the bad cores. Intel works the same way.

Solution

That's not always true. Try putting a 8350/9590 on a cheap board and you'll have a very bad day. The good thing about Ryzen is it has socket unity. Doesn't matter if you have a cheaper board the CPU will work regardless, just how it is for Intel.