[SOLVED] Will a 9900KS or 10900k bottleneck 2 RTX 3090s in SLI NVLink?

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Hello all,

Currently, I am running a 9900KS + RTX 3090 Strix OC in 4k-144hz

1. I am wondering if my CPU is too slow (bottlenecking my GPU)?
  2. If I buy a second RTX 3090 for SLI NVLINK, will that be bottlenecked by even the current fastest gaming GPU on the planet (10900k)?

Solution
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

1. Is your cpu a limiting factor?
I doubt it, but try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Dual gpu is not today a satisfactory solution for improved gaming.
Synthetic fps benchmarks do show impressive results.
But, there are...
Hello all,

Currently, I am running a 9900KS + RTX 3090 Strix OC in 4k-144hz

1. I am wondering if my CPU is too slow (bottlenecking my GPU)?
  2. If I buy a second RTX 3090 for SLI NVLINK, will that be bottlenecked by even the current fastest gaming GPU on the planet (10900k)?
The 3090 will be the last card to support SLI. Games are no longer being optimized for SLI. There may be a dozen games or so even supporting it now. SLI is dead, forget it.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...ve-game-integrations-(read-terminated),2.html

I also recommend not going SLI, I did have 2x 1070s and less and less games were even using them, In fact in DX12 gaming's I play, I ended up ditching both my 1070's for a 5700xt which was much noticeable fps bump in games that didn't support SLI which is pretty much everything now. And older games that do support SLI a 3090 should just plow right threw them with ease.

Either way, if you do go SLI, the 9900K should do just fine in the vary few games that do support SLI.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

1. Is your cpu a limiting factor?
I doubt it, but try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Dual gpu is not today a satisfactory solution for improved gaming.
Synthetic fps benchmarks do show impressive results.
But, there are negatives.
Dual gpu is prone to screen tearing and stuttering.
Most games do not support dual gpu and the lack of support is increasing.
3090 represents the fastest available gaming card available today.
You have no upgrade if graphics is your limiter.
The best you can do is to dial back some settings.

2. The i9-9900K is comparable to the i7-10700K in performance.
I9-10900K would be marginally faster, but that would require a moherboard upgrade also.
If you will upgrade, you should also consider the new ryzen 5950x.
The 19% IPC increase is impressive.
Even then Intel rocket lake will arrive next quarter, and I would wait a bit to see what that brings. Intel will not lightly yield the top dog position.

In the mean time, look at overclocking your 9900K.
If you have a good chip and an effective cooler, you can do better.
from silicon lottery:
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane vcore in the 1.275v to 1.312
And AVX offset = 2.

I9-9900K
4.8 100%
4.9 92%
5.0 30%
5.1 5%

Solution
10900k is not the fastest gaming CPU, as mentioned. Even the mid level Ryzen 5600x beats that CPU in a number of games, much less the higher end Ryzen 5000 models.

SLI, again, as mentioned, is dead. There is little support for it anymore and what support there is is so marginal that it's absolutely not worth the cost of a second card, regardless of what model that card is, if you are buying them new or already have a flagship card.

And if you are "bottlenecked" with the 9900k, then it's VERY unlikely that changing your platform or CPU to anything currently available, regardless that there are some which offer MARGINALLY better performance, is going to change anything. At 4k you are not terribly CPU dependent anyhow and for any game that IS seriously CPU challenged, what you have is quite capable enough for most any CPU intensive titles anyhow.

Then again, if you think spending two grand on a monitor is wise, then I guess you might just as well upgrade to the latest Ryzen flagship anyhow because you clearly have money that's burning holes in your pockets.