Question Will a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X work with AMD A320 chipset motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codaw

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I was planning a build using an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and an AMD A320 chipset motherboard but on pcpartpicker it said I would need a bios update and it said incompatible. Will it work?

Like it said, you will likely need a BIOS update. I'm not sure if any A320 motherboards support BIOS Flash without a supported CPU installed.

The A320 is low-tier and shouldn't really be used with anything more than a 65W CPU. Get a B450 Tomahawk instead. It supports BIOS Flash without a CPU so you can update the BIOS if it needs it.

As long as there is a bios update for the particular board, yes it would work. You would have to check the exact motherboard.

Now on the other hand there is no chance in Hades I would recommend running a 3900x on a A320. Why buy a $500 CPu and put it in a POS motherboard. Be smart and get a x570.

I was planning a build using an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and an AMD A320 chipset motherboard but on pcpartpicker it said I would need a bios update and it said incompatible. Will it work?
Actually, I could understand why you'd buy a 3900X and put it on an A320 motherboard.... but only if that's the only motherboard you have and plan on upgrading in the future.

If that's the case, then surely you must have a compatible processor on it right now. Just do the BIOS update with that, but do be aware that once done you may not be able to use that processor on the board again. So it's a bit risky since if even the new 3900X should wind up not working you'll be left with a bricked motherboard and two processors with no home.

But if that's not the case and your plan is to buy an A320 for that 3900X.

That's just unfathomable.

I've nothing to say.

InvalidError

Titan
As already mentioned, you would need an older CPU (1000-series) to update the BIOS on 300-series boards first. You will have the same issue with 400-series motherboards unless you get a model with CPU-less BIOS update or a newer BIOS pre-flashed.

Given how limited connectivity on 320-series boards is, I can't really recommend going any lower than 450-series either until 550-series boards launch.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The big issue would be the voltage regulators... The AMD 3900X is a 105-watt CPU and older CPUs had a lot lower power draw. That likely means that the old board would not be able to supply the current to the 3900X without frying the regulators.

A lot of the X570 boards are having enough issues with the 3900X power demands. And they were designed to accommodate the 3900X.

Reactions: CountMike

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
It will work after the bios update as previous comments said, but, this is ILLEGAL. A320 is a low end ryzen 1st gen motherboard. TRyzen 9 3900X is the 2nd best 3rd gen ryzen. Is like putting a ferrari engine in a ford focus chassis. Go at least for a B450 MAX or to be safe a X570

InvalidError

Titan
A lot of the X570 boards are having enough issues with the 3900X power demands. And they were designed to accommodate the 3900X.
Four phases VRMs common across mainstream motherboards have been powering 100-130W CPUs for 20 years just fine when designed for that power range. The ridiculous VRMs found on modern high-end boards are for over-the-top overclocking to 200W and beyond. The main problem with cheaper mainstream boards is lower PBO ceiling due to peak power restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS