[SOLVED] Will a B450 Mobo work with Ryzen 3400G?

Canadacpu

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Hi All,

Hopefully a really quick question. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use a B450 mobo with the new Ryzen 3400G? They are still on the 12nm+ node and I believe the Vega graphics is the exact same too (higher clock) so I don't think there is anything significant that changed on that side of things. I know the socket is still good, I am more concerned about the chipset. The 5XX chipsets seemed to focus on PCI 4.0 and other things I didn't need, but I don't want any compatibility issues. I'm not going to OC, this is just for a basic HTPC now that the 3XXX series APUs can handle 4K HDCP/Netflix.

I am building a Mini ITX build (Cooler Master Elite 110 case) and Mini ITX mobos are few and far between. This one went on sale with a $30 rebate and I wanted to grab it if I can be sure it'll work just fine:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...ac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-itxac

TDP of the 3400G is only 65W so I think I should be OK with those VRMs.

Was also looking at the MSI equivalent "B450I Gaming Plus" mITX board which apparently has better VRMs but a really bad BIOS.

TIA

Last edited:
Solution
Have to wait and see. Mobo's manufactured after a cpu release won't require a bios update, that'll be done at factory. Only need a bios update for any mobo manufactured prior to vendor receiving bios instructions from AMD.

So to avoid all that, just wait until after 3000 series release, then get the mobo. And I don't mean 1 day after. You'll probably see packaging changes on the mobo's announcing Zen2 bios or 3000 series compliant etc.
Yes, it should work but you will probably have to get a BIOS update for the MB. Keep checking the Asrock B450 page for an updated CPU list and the support tab for a BIOS update. Some boards require a current CPU (not the 3000 versions) in order to apply the update, so if you don't already have a compatible Ryzen chip (or can borrow one), I would wait.

Canadacpu

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Ah shoot, yeah if I have to get a 2000 series just to install the BIOS update that would suck. I'll maybe hold off a bit as I wouldn't have access to that without buying it. I was hoping it wouldn't need a BIOS update to work because it's pretty much the same as the 2000 series in terms of the fundamentals, it's not a redesign like the non-APU 3000 Zen 2 series.

Thanks!

May 29, 2019
Ah shoot, yeah if I have to get a 2000 series just to install the BIOS update that would suck. I'll maybe hold off a bit as I wouldn't have access to that without buying it. I was hoping it wouldn't need a BIOS update to work because it's pretty much the same as the 2000 series in terms of the fundamentals, it's not a redesign like the non-APU 3000 Zen 2 series.

Thanks!
AMD has Bios upgrade kits for ZEN+ so they should have them for zen 2 as well

InvalidError

Titan
AMD has Bios upgrade kits for ZEN+ so they should have them for zen 2 as well
Or just look for a board that comes preloaded with the appropriate BIOS. Many board manufacturers started shipping boards with new BIOS months ago. There should be a sticker or updated box art identifying those boards if not an updated model number to clearly differentiate pre- and post- 3rd-gen boards.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have to wait and see. Mobo's manufactured after a cpu release won't require a bios update, that'll be done at factory. Only need a bios update for any mobo manufactured prior to vendor receiving bios instructions from AMD.

So to avoid all that, just wait until after 3000 series release, then get the mobo. And I don't mean 1 day after. You'll probably see packaging changes on the mobo's announcing Zen2 bios or 3000 series compliant etc.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Only need a bios update for any mobo manufactured prior to vendor receiving bios instructions from AMD.
Motherboard manufacturers have had Ryzen 3 microcode since at least May: Gigabytes publicly announced availability of its Ryzen 3 BIOS update on May 20th, which should mean there is about a month worth of factory-updated boards in the wild.

Reactions: Karadjgne