May 15, 2022
Windows 10 Pro x64
Motherboard: asus Asrock z390m pro4
CPU Intel i5-9600k 3.7Ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
GPU EVGA geforce 1070 SC black edition
PSU: EVGA 650w g2 Supernova

[Note: Moderator edit to break up one solid paragraph of text.}

about 2 weeks ago, i had a bad stutter in No Man's Sky.

After doing some research i found that my ram's DRam Frequency MHzs wasnt at the base speed it should have been set to. they were at 1000 or somthing like that.

So i powered my PC down, Unplugged power cable from PC, flipped PSU switch and procceded to take out ram. When i was taking out the ram i got the top notch unlatched, and i thought there was a bottom latch so i stuck ... metal lick object to press firmly down on the plastic bit. i press a bit to firmly and slipped and hit my mother board just below the 2 slot of ram if you were to start 1 at the one closest to the cpu.

i panicked then quickly resat ram and turned to turn on PC and i got no display, the computer didnt do any beeps nor did it post or anything, i came to the conclusion that it did boot to windows cuz i had to press and hold the power button to get it to turn off. i was frantic i ddit know what to do so, i took everything in the pc apart and blew all dust out (There was alot) and placed all parts back together one by one to see if i could get it to the post scren, i couldnt not. after taking out cpu again to make sure it was placed properly, i noticed pins were bent .

Friend of mine came over cuz he has like surgeon steady hands, and he got them back in place. placed cpu in and had one stick of ram and power to mb and cpu and OS drive.

i got it to Post so i added one thing back at a time. when i got back to the case's USB 3.0 Header the computer would no longer boot. i do have a broken usb slot on my case so i never use the front of the case so i went without it, placed all parts back in, it booted but when i placed GPU in it boots but no post screen or anything, and prior to this there was no signs of GPU failure.

I have a back up card AMD ATI Radeon 5770 (Hahaha) palced it in the top pcie x16 it does not work via hdmi or display post. so i place it in the pcie x4 lane at the bottom it works and i get visual.

i read somewhere that some amd cards are not supported in the top x16 slot but i also read else where that pcie slots are backwards compatible but. i also placed my EVGA 1070 ina friends pc and it didnt produce and signal. so came to the conclusion that my gpu was dead, Also please note iw ent thru vigors searching and testing.

i used onboard graphics and navigated to device manager to reinstall drivers, the driers were there but my pc didnt even see a card in that slot. so i used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and then i tried my best to get the drivers back but since my pc didnt see there was a card in there, no updater would work.

i reached out to Nvidia and they told me since my gpu wasnt detected in MSinfo32 they couldnt help me and i needed a new gpu.

So DOwn to my ultimate question. I buy a EVGA RTX 3050. will it go KAPUT if i place it in this mother board Please message me with any questions on details i may have missed.

Ps i also tried CMOS reset and bios update and got nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
At this point, look towards new MoBo as well, since you damaged it. And new MoBo would also remove the suspicion of your current, damaged MoBo, frying your new GPU, which it very well may do.

Btw, you do not need any tools to remove RAM or GPU. Pressing down with fingers is more than enough since latches come open relatively easily. With RAM, press both latches at once.
my ram's DRam Frequency MHzs wasnt at the base speed it should have been set to. they were at 1000 or somthing like that.

DDR4 does not work at 1000 Mhz. What you could've seen, was most likely 1066 Mhz, which brings the actual speed to 2133 Mhz since DDR is Double Data Rate RAM. And 2133 Mhz is JEDEC standard speed (the lowest JEDEC for DDR4). In this case...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
At this point, look towards new MoBo as well, since you damaged it. And new MoBo would also remove the suspicion of your current, damaged MoBo, frying your new GPU, which it very well may do.

Btw, you do not need any tools to remove RAM or GPU. Pressing down with fingers is more than enough since latches come open relatively easily. With RAM, press both latches at once.
my ram's DRam Frequency MHzs wasnt at the base speed it should have been set to. they were at 1000 or somthing like that.

DDR4 does not work at 1000 Mhz. What you could've seen, was most likely 1066 Mhz, which brings the actual speed to 2133 Mhz since DDR is Double Data Rate RAM. And 2133 Mhz is JEDEC standard speed (the lowest JEDEC for DDR4). In this case, all you would've needed to do, is check BIOS if RAM XMP is holding. And if it does hold in BIOS, but reverts back once in OS, look if you have 3rd party programs that override BIOS settings (usually, those are MoBo utility programs. For AsRock MoBos, that would be ASRock A-Tuning utility.).

Solution
May 15, 2022
Ok, my friend is sending me his old Mobo, cpu which is the same as mine. and used alot less then mine. also, i did check the XMP settings b4 i ultimatly reinstalled my OS. and it was set to Auto, so i switch is to XMP profile 1 and that was still causing my ram to not look right. then i also saw that the fequency was set to manual 2300 i believe, so i set that to the rams max fequency which was 3200 i think. and that fixed that issue. but then the no display came. so at this point it is safe to say that If i put this new rtx in this current motherboard thers a chance of it frying. so ill just wait for a new mobo and cpu b4 i test the new card.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and it was set to Auto, so i switch is to XMP profile 1 and that was still causing my ram to not look right. then i also saw that the fequency was set to manual 2300 i believe, so i set that to the rams max fequency which was 3200 i think. and that fixed that issue. but then the no display came.

Sounds like a RAM issue, where it isn't capable of holding the XMP, instead, resulting back to JEDEC speeds (2133/2400/2666).

Now, you putting your RAM to 3200 Mhz in BIOS, doesn't "fix" the issue since OC isn't stable and PC won't boot to OS (no display).

If you can boot to OS with JEDEC speeds but not with XMP (or 3200 Mhz as it is rated), then you need to look towards manual RAM OC.

This topic here, 3rd chapter, named: "Setting up XMP, AMP or DOCP profiles", helps you on this,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
so if im understanding right. this is all normal ?

Your RAM runs currently at 2133 Mhz, which is JEDEC standard. Now, most RAMs can be OC'd. Easiest way is with enabling XMP from BIOS. Though, some RAM sticks from time-to-time, may not be able to hold their XMP profile. If this is the case, and you still want to get the RAM speed advertised on the box (e.g 3200 Mhz), then you need to look towards manual RAM OC.

Topic i linked above, covers it in great detail.

If you want it in video format, then from 02:34 in here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yed-a9vqTYc