Question Will a Clean Install of Win11 Activate Via Hardware License?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I have decided to update to Windows 11 (currently on Windows 10 Pro). I have a ROG pre-build system, and when I did a wipe of the hard drive and cleanly installed Windows 10 last year, it activated automatically (I assume due to a on-board digital license tied to my hardware).

If I wipe again and do a clean install from a bootable installer of Windows 11, will it also active the same way? It would be free if I just upgraded from this copy anyway, so I'm hoping I won't need to buy a new Windows 11 OS key.

Give this a try if you have a spare drive unplug your windows 10 and use the spare drive to test your theory and install Windows 11 and see if your good. If your good you will know if not you still have your valid Windows 10.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I have decided to update to Windows 11 (currently on Windows 10 Pro). I have a ROG pre-build system, and when I did a wipe of the hard drive and cleanly installed Windows 10 last year, it activated automatically (I assume due to a on-board digital license tied to my hardware).

If I wipe again and do a clean install from a bootable installer of Windows 11, will it also active the same way? It would be free if I just upgraded from this copy anyway, so I'm hoping I won't need to buy a new Windows 11 OS key.
If you have an OEM license, it is tied to the old PC. You need a new one.
If you have a retail license, it is not tied to hardware. It can be reused on a future PC.

If you do an upgrade your license will ativate automatically, for me it always worked to upgrade first, let it connect to internet and after that whenever i did a clean install no matter if it was 11 or 10 it will always activate.

TRENDING THREADS