Question Will A Cooler Master ML120L Be Good Enough For A Ryzen 7 1700?

SteveWonda

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I built my son a semi-budget gaming PC for Xmas. It currently has a 2200G APU in it and I was able to score a Cooler Master ML120L for $30 and figured it would look cool in his Cooler Master MB500 case with the RGB stuff. So it's got that for a cooler. I planned to get him a better CPU and a video card for his birthday later this month and then use the 2200G in a budget build for myself down the road.

So I just bought him a brand new Ryzen 7 1700 as I got it pretty cheap($130 no tax & free shipping) and couldn't pass it up. So my question is will the ML120L be enough to keep it properly cooled? I don't think we'll be doing any overclocking but maybe a little bit. I currently have it installed in the rear of the case with the 1 included 120MM fan pushing the air at the radiator from inside the case. Would it be wise to set it up as a push & pull by adding another fan? Or should I remove it completely and use the stock Wraith Spire cooler or purchase say a 240MM AIO? Currently the ML120L keeps his 2200G super cool. I know both chips are 65 watts but I'm sure the 1700 probably gets hotter. But I am still very new to this type of stuff...and that's why I'm asking you guys.

I'll also add that he does use it for more than just gaming and web browsing. He'll be 13 at the end of this month and is already very good with graphic design and video editing so I know this 1700 will improve his PC's performance greatly. I haven't bought a video card yet, but will be within a few weeks. I'm on a strict budget and can't spend more than $180 after tax & shipping. If you have any suggestions please post them here. I will leave his PC's specs below.

Current specs of the PC these parts are going into:
-Cooler Master MB500 Case
-Cooler Master 600 Watt Modular PSU
-MSI X370 Gaming Plus MB
-Ryzen 3 2200G APU (Soon to be Ryzen 7 1700)
-Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB DDR4 Memory 2x8GB 3000MHz
-Cooler Master ML120L RGB AIO CPU Cooler
-Kingston A1000 240GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Win 10 boot drive & Photoshop & current games being played etc..)
-2TB WD HDD for storage
-PCI-E WiFi & Bluetooth Card

Thanks guys! Hope to here your suggestions soon.

What is the problem you are trying to fix?
Ryzen does ok with the stock cooler.
Monitor your temperatures with HWmonitor.
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient with any cooler.
Much higher and the cooler is probably not mounted well.

Under load, the throttle point for ryzen is around 85c.
At that point, the processor will shut down or throttle to protect itself.
Adding fans will add an expense and noise.
Your case is a good one with two 120mm front intakes.
I doubt you would benefit from doing anything.

Reactions: SteveWonda

SteveWonda

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
What is the problem you are trying to fix?
Ryzen does ok with the stock cooler.
Monitor your temperatures with HWmonitor.
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient with any cooler.
Much higher and the cooler is probably not mounted well.

Under load, the throttle point for ryzen is around 85c.
At that point, the processor will shut down or throttle to protect itself.
Adding fans will add an expense and noise.
Your case is a good one with two 120mm front intakes.
I doubt you would benefit from doing anything.
I'm not trying to fix anything as nothing is broken. Was just trying to make sure that the ML120L would be fine for the 1700. I spent a good amount of time trying to find a good case that would work with the budget I was on when originally building the PC. I was able to get a great deal on the MB500 and know it's a great case with plenty of air flow. I left the 2 front fans where they came pre-installed, moved the third rear pre-installed fan to the top rear mounting option as exhaust and installed the AIO radiator in the rear of the case where the third fan was with the included fan blowing on the radiator from inside the case aimed out. You and @remixislandmusic answered my question. I do plan on monitoring temps as we have already been doing. Thanks for the info & help guys!