[SOLVED] Will a Dark Rock 4 (Pro) be a noticeable improvement over hyper 212 RGB Black Edition?

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
I'm currently running a 5600x with a CM Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition I had from before, and I'm getting idle/load temps at 30-45 and 60-70 under load respectively. This is pretty good compared to my old Intel 7700k with the same cooler, that was going up to 85c+, but I'm wondering if a Dark Rock 4 would be a noticeable improvement in temps and noise levels. Ideally, I'm trying to find a decent cooler now that will last me years after upgrading in a year or 2 when to a 5800 or a 5900x.

I can't find any direct comparisons between these except this video, where they are remarkably close, with DR4 being slightly quieter and that's about it. However, on every online post I've seen, people claim that DR4 is much better. There are some comparisons with the old Evo 212, but from what I gather the Hyper 212 was a big improvement over that one?

So the two-fold question is, wit DR4 be a solid improvement now for the 5600x with better OC potential, and will it be good for a later upgrade to 5800/900x. I can get one for 60 euros now and can resell my for about 40 maybe, so not much of a difference. I was also looking at the Dark Rock Pro 4 but it's 80e and again not sure how big of a leap that is from the regular DR4

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Noctua is a bit too much in my area at 90€, but the DeepCool Assassin III is 75€, so just between the Dark Rock 4 and Pro. Do you think it's worth 15€ over DR4?

Edit: actually no, they are 85€ so more expensive than DR Pro 4

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

Noctua is a bit too much in my area at 90€, but the DeepCool Assassin III is 75€, so just between the Dark Rock 4 and Pro. Do you think it's worth 15€ over DR4?

Edit: actually no, they are 85€ so more expensive than DR Pro 4
The Noctua has the MUCH better installation system. Dark Rock Pro 4 is great (and potentially quieter), but the installation system is a mess, you need tools to pry off the fan clips for example.

Also, Noctua's 6 year warranty, free socket mount upgrades, tube of NT-H1 (top paste) included with the cooler and top notch customer support is worth the extra premium IMHO.

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Also, Noctua's 6 year warranty, free socket mount upgrades, tube of NT-H1 (top paste) included with the cooler and top notch customer support is worth the extra premium IMHO.
[/QUOTE]

None of their support and warranty commodities apply sadly, since I'll have to be buying from resellers as legitimate stores in my country are stupidly overpriced over any MSRP, so all I'm getting is generic, third party 2-year warranty.

Excluding that and installation time, which of the DR4 (Pro) / Noctua / Deepcool Assassins III would you consider the most cost-effective one with these prices? They might also have Scytha Fuma 2s in stock in a little while potentially at 60euros so cheaper than all the rest.