Question Will a Digital Converter Box replace my television's internal tuner?

Bud-S

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I have a Toshiba Regza 42RV530U up in the loft of our house, and I use it without a cable box by just plugging the coax cable directly into the TV and using the TV's built in digital tuner. The TV gets most of the cable channels this way, and I don't mind missing a few channels on this TV to save the bucks on an extra cable box each month from Comporium.

The problem is that the tuner in the TV is apparently going bad because the channels are suddenly choppy and a bit distorted. I never really thought a tuner could go bad until I did a little research on it. I'm fairly certain that it's the tuner because it always used to work fine and I also tested another TV with the same wire and it tunes in the channels just fine.

So my question is, would a Digital Converter Box be able to tune in the same channels that my TV's built in tuner did? Here's an example of what I'm referencing:
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HOMEWORX-HW130STB-Converter-Recording/dp/B01EW098XS

Most of them specifically say that they won't work with cable, but I'm thinking maybe they just say this because you won't get all the cable channels as you would with a proper cable box. Like I said, my TV wasn't able to tune all the channels and I was fine with that.

I'm looking forward to hear some opinions... and maybe someone might have personal experience trying this and will be able to give me their thoughts. Thanks

Bud-S

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I'm answering my own question in case it helps someone down the road.

You can use a Digital Converter Box (TV Tuner) to view unscrambled channels from your cable company as long as the box has a QAM tuner. There will be an option to change the setting from "Air" to "Cable".
I ordered one and I am once again able to watch most of the channels from my cable company without having to pay a monthly fee for an additional cable box.

TRENDING THREADS