Will a dual GTX 560 Ti bottleneck on my system?

TheGunShow6304

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
I'm fairly new to the "semi-know" of computer hardware and specs. Just ordered a build for a comp and was thinking bout upgrading to dual GTX 560 Ti, but wasn't sure if what I had would bottleneck and/or not really work-out with what I'm wanting. For one I would like to just build it, but secondly I've researched through numerous sources and found that it competes with say the GTX 580 (depending on the title I'm looking at). I know that getting just the GTX 580 would probably more cost efficient and around the ballpark of dual GTX 560 Ti's, but I thought I'd seek some advices from some more knowledgeable people.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Intel Core i5-2500K
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Wasn't sure if this was worth it, so got it and goin to give it a shot.)

Solution

An SSD as a system/boot drive has been a great investment for me, there are 64gb (which is the smallest I'd go for a system drive with prices so cheap) for pretty cheap out there. Also, using regular HDDs in a RAID-1 (using 2 HDDs) as a slightly more reliable data volume is also nice. It's a little more peace of mind anyway. And its not that hard to set up especially on a new system.

larkspur

Distinguished
My goodness man. You will definitely not bottleneck those cards with that CPU. I see you are liquid cooling, what is your clock? It's true the 560tis are great in SLI. There is some minor grumbling about micro-stuttering mainly due to this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

But it was mainly a problem with AMD's lower-mainstream variants. For the value 2 x 560ti is awesome and will often exceed the performance of a 580 by itself. Your CPU won't be holding them back don't worry. What you will get is more heat and noise in your case.

Edit: Just realized you ordered it and therefore haven't OCed it yet :pfff:

TheGunShow6304

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Right on. Like I said I'm fairly new, so I'm sure it was a newb question. Figured I'd just suck it up and ask and know rather than aimlessly wander forums looking for an answer. As far as the liquid cooling, i haven't recieved the parts yet and i haven't really messed with clocks before so it will be an adventure in itself. This will be my first actual build. I've just Bestbuy'd all my other comps. Figured it was time to take the training-wheels off. I'm up for any intel and/or suggestions as far as that goes though. :na:

larkspur

Distinguished

An SSD as a system/boot drive has been a great investment for me, there are 64gb (which is the smallest I'd go for a system drive with prices so cheap) for pretty cheap out there. Also, using regular HDDs in a RAID-1 (using 2 HDDs) as a slightly more reliable data volume is also nice. It's a little more peace of mind anyway. And its not that hard to set up especially on a new system.

Solution

TheGunShow6304

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
For sure... I had an alotted amount of dinero to put into the build and (of course) as I order the parts and random surf for more info, I learn what SSD does/is and I would have loved to have cut out a few parts to make sure it was there. I'll def be investing in it very soon. When I was preparing the build I guess subconsciously I was trying to prepare for games like MW3 and on type games. I didn't want to have to worry bout having to upgrade anytime soon (at the same time be within the spending limits atm). SSD will be the next step for sure then the dual GPU's. :D

TheGunShow6304

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Yeah, the power supply may very well be. I bought it for cheap from newegg. I had a 750w 80 plus silver cert picked out, but then a buddy of mine said i might need more power so i just picked a good priced one that popped up. I really appreciate the intel. Have you had a bad experience with that brand or read bad reviews on it?

TheGunShow6304

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Yeah I read some reviews on it from newegg where i purchased it and it seemed real hit and miss. I'll def be investing in the Crucial M4 and I liked the Seasonic SS-850HT 850W (I'm not butt-hurt if it's not modular with the room I have in this case either). I really appreciate the help. This is becoming a very valuable learning exp. We all have to start somewhere right? I'll be sure to pay it forward later. :D