Will a Gigabyte 560 Ti SOC kill my Seasonic 520 watt PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Man.... I'm at my wits end with this stuff... Ok, so I made a huge mistake I think by buying my PSU before completely deciding what video card to roll with. I bought a SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W PSU at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-SeaSonic+USA-_-17151094

This is supposed to be a REALLY good PSU, recommended from JonnyGuru.com . Problem is, I now think that I want to get a Gigabyte 560 Ti SOC video card, and I was reading somewhere that at load, the card could demand nearly 380 watts of power. Obviously, this is only at load, when it is really stressed. The thing is, my PSU is only 520 watts, which only leaves 140 watts leftover to power everything else in my rig. Here is the other stuff in my rig:

CPU = i5 2500k
Motherboard = Asus P8P67 (regular version, not Pro,Deluxe or LE)
Ram = G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
HDD = Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD 1 TB
Case = Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Also, I was planning on overclocking the i5 2500k into the 4.4 or 4.5 ghz range. So that will be demanding more power as well. So, the question is, do I look for a non-overclocked 560, and hope that a non-overclocked 560 won't have such a huge demand at load? Thing is, I really wasn't looking for an overclocked 560 Ti in the first place, but came to the Gigabyte one, because it supposedly runs cool and quiet the majority of the time. Some of the other 560 Ti's seem to be a lot more noisy and run hotter. At least that is the conclusion I came to after reading tons of reviews.

Do I need to step away from the 560 Ti altogehter, and just get a GTX 460? I'll save "some" money, but I'll also take a good 20 percent or more performance hit. Do, I just return the Seasonic PSU to newegg, and buy another PSU with more watts , so I don't need to worry about it? I'm still waiting for the PSU to arrive at my house, and I've never had to return anything to newegg, not sure how that process works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
GTX560 TI system recommendation is 500 watt with 30 amps on the +12 volt rail!
Your quality PSU exceeds both recommendation and will run your system just fine!

Where on earth did you get that figure from? It's wrong by the way, I'm just wondering where you pulled it from.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

oops. Went back and checked on it, and it was the "system consumption", not just the card by itself, lol. Here is the link:

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_560_ti_soc,11.html

You have to scroll down to about the middle of the page. System consumption at load was like 382 watts. Damn, my bad. That's what happens when you're a total PC newb like I am. heh...

I do feel much better now, I wasn't looking forward to sending back that Seasonic PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.