[SOLVED] Will a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 XTREME WATERFORCE be enough?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Long time since I have been here and am getting ready to build what will almost certainly be my last system (I am 84, btw)

This time I want to build a water cooled pure gaming mitx system.

I want to support 3440 x 1440 at no less than 60 fps ultra settings on anything I throw at it.

I am willing to overclock if that is necessary to achieve my performance requirements.

So, does the RTX 3080 Extreme Waterforce have enough power to support that performance goal?

Part 2:

Assuming the video card is sufficient, how much processor should I invest in (AMD or Intel is fine)?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Last edited:
Solution
Personally since it may very well be your penultimate system I would get a 3080 ti even though the cost is substantially higher. 3440 x 1440 is more demanding than 1440p but less than 4k. There are games out right now that can get you to barley your minimum with maxed settings. If you are willing to give up some settings then a 3080 will most likely be enough for now. I would wait to get a CPU until intel comes out with their 12000 series and AMD comes out with their extra cache 5000 CPUs (within the next few months I assume). Either an intel 11900k /11700k equivalent or a 5800x equivalent will do now and nicely into the future were you not to wait for CPUs.
Personally since it may very well be your penultimate system I would get a 3080 ti even though the cost is substantially higher. 3440 x 1440 is more demanding than 1440p but less than 4k. There are games out right now that can get you to barley your minimum with maxed settings. If you are willing to give up some settings then a 3080 will most likely be enough for now. I would wait to get a CPU until intel comes out with their 12000 series and AMD comes out with their extra cache 5000 CPUs (within the next few months I assume). Either an intel 11900k /11700k equivalent or a 5800x equivalent will do now and nicely into the future were you not to wait for CPUs.

Solution

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
helper800,

Sounds like wise advice. Waiting becomes more and more difficult. I will consider my cpu choice a bit more. I had not even considered an 11700k, but then I know little about gaming requirements.

thanks again,

Larry

Long time since I have been here and am getting ready to build what will almost certainly be my last system (I am 84, btw)

This time I want to build a water cooled pure gaming mitx system.

I want to support 3440 x 1440 at no less than 60 fps ultra settings on anything I throw at it.

I am willing to overclock if that is necessary to achieve my performance requirements.

So, does the RTX 3080 Extreme Waterforce have enough power to support that performance goal?

Part 2:

Assuming the video card is sufficient, how much processor should I invest in (AMD or Intel is fine)?

Thanks in advance,

Larry
You can get a 3080 Ti for not much more than that card your looking at now. btw what's your budget and what country are you located?