Will a gigabyte graphics card work with msi/asus x-99 motherboards?

Iscott01

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Im looking to build a new computer and want a decent spec. The 1 thing i want to keep is a gigabyte nvidia gtx 680 graphics card and is un-clear if the latest 2011-v3 motherboards can run this card! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
It'll run perfectly.
FYI my new rig (in avatar) runs my 'old' and much abused HD7950 flawlessly.
Few points.
Once the build is up and running, consider checking for BIOS updates, but don't install one unless there is problems.
Good as it is the GTX680 is getting 'old', if you don't already, keep an eye on graphics card developments through tech sites, you'll be well informed when the time comes to upgrade.
Get a MB which has an integrated graphics output, they're really handy for troubleshooting.
Don't go cheap on the power supply, quality is more important than claimed output.
Even if you're going to stick to stock speed, adding a inexpensive CPU cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo into the mix is a good investment, it'll be...

Iscott01

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Iv looked at the asus x-99-A socket and the msi x99s gaming 7 socket. Im open to other options if i list what components i want.
i7 - 5820k
Gskill 16gb ram 2666ghz
Corsair h80i cpu cooler
Wd 2tb hard drive
Samsung ssd probably 250gb.

Thanks guys

It'll run perfectly.
FYI my new rig (in avatar) runs my 'old' and much abused HD7950 flawlessly.
Few points.
Once the build is up and running, consider checking for BIOS updates, but don't install one unless there is problems.
Good as it is the GTX680 is getting 'old', if you don't already, keep an eye on graphics card developments through tech sites, you'll be well informed when the time comes to upgrade.
Get a MB which has an integrated graphics output, they're really handy for troubleshooting.
Don't go cheap on the power supply, quality is more important than claimed output.
Even if you're going to stick to stock speed, adding a inexpensive CPU cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo into the mix is a good investment, it'll be cooler than the stock item and quieter.
Strong systems need good ventilation, so look for a case with at least dual 120m.m. front intake fans and put good ones in there, supplied fans are often less than top of the line and a pair of Corsair AF120 Performance Edition (or similar) will not only improve cooing but help to keep the noise down.
If you have cats or dogs in the house get a case with filters for the intake fans. I've several cats and when they shed the little darlings can quickly clog my air filters-be warned. ;)

Solution

Iscott01

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Thanks dude thats made me think about it alot more, the 680 is still good for me for now simply because i want to spend more on other things like u said. I will oc eventually so cooling is an issue again like u said.... Thanks for ur help

With Christmas coming up (with apologies if you don't recognise or celebrate it) maybe you'd like to consider holding off on the upgrade a little while and drop a better CPU cooler into the current rig, then experiment with overclocking. The FX6100 isn't THAT bad TBH and with a GTX680 you should be able to play even the current demanding titles well at 1080 rez with a bit of overclocking goodness on the CPU.
Just an idea, mate.

Iscott01

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Mmmm yea thats true. What cpu cooler would you advise and motherboard? For value without hardly any loss of performance im going towards the msi x99. What do you think?

Iscott01

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Yea the prices have gone down a bit with ddr4 ram, but still expensive. Just out of interest, what would you prefer to have in terms of cpu, intel or amd?? I have amd now and only occured a few small issues in the past but nothing major!

If you're going to be gaming (silly me, of course you are ;) ) Intel have significant advantages: Their parts have better power efficiency and, more importantly, much better performance core-to core.
BUT, if you're using a lot of multi-threaded software the AMD 8 core CPUs in particular, make more sense, they're less expensive than the Intel i7 Quads and MUCH cheaper than their 6 core offerings.
I'll advise that you hold off on the upgrade/rebuild for a while, the GTX9XX cards are still new and prices for DDR4/2011 motherboards have yet to settle down, so grab a better CPU cooler and start to learn the craft of overclocking with your current system, after all, you should be able to transfer the cooler into the new build and the knowledge is likely to come in handy later on.

Iscott01

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Thanks for the advise, im defo convinced on going for intel this time around and i see what u mean about the prices being high atm. I have already overclocked my cpu to 4ghz but maybe with a better cooler i can go that bit further run it up to maybe. 4.3 stable. My graphics card is also overclocked but i have never tried overclocking ram! Maybe i'l look a bit into that. Thanks again for all the talks guys