Will a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 fit into a Thermaltake Chaser A31 Case?

Loganbee123

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading to a GTX 970 G1 but am concerned it will not fit in my case. I'm using a ThermalTake A31 as you can see in the title. Also, will I be able to crossfire these cards on an ASUS Z87 Gryphon Motherboard?

Thanks

Solution
The Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 is 406.4mm long. And the Thermaltake Chaser A31 Caseonly supports GPU up to 290mm(with HDD rack)
410mm(without HDD rack)

So you will have to remove the HDD rack to allow space to house the GTX 970. And some drive bays will not be used.

You cannot Crossfire Nvidia cards instead SLI them. In your case, yes the Asus Z87 Gryphon supports that. And in fact supports Quad-SLI if you are interested.

The Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 is 406.4mm long. And the Thermaltake Chaser A31 Caseonly supports GPU up to 290mm(with HDD rack)
410mm(without HDD rack)

So you will have to remove the HDD rack to allow space to house the GTX 970. And some drive bays will not be used.

You cannot Crossfire Nvidia cards instead SLI them. In your case, yes the Asus Z87 Gryphon supports that. And in fact supports Quad-SLI if you are interested.

Solution

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I beg to differ, here's a picture showing the card in a Thermaltake V4 case, which theoretically only supports cards up to 26.3 cm as per the Thermaltake website. http://i.imgur.com/pVhv9NH.jpg . I have the same case and measured it with a ruler, it actually supports cards up to 30 cm. That picture clearly shows the card is less than 30 cm even, probably around the 29 cm mark. You will be fine since your case is even bigger!

Asif farooq

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

I have the gigabyte Gz g1 case, It can support cards upto 29cm, since its deeper than the Thermal take V4, can the card fit in this case? Because the Gigabyte website shows that the card is 312mm long.

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Yes absolutely. I got the G1 and it fits my V3 case just fine. Contrary to the TT website, which says the case supports cards up to 26.3 cm long, it actually supports cards up to 30 cm. The GTX 970 G1 is actually 29 something cm, contrary to the Gigabyte website which says it's 31.2 cm.
Apparently, neither company knows of the existence of a very useful object called a ruler. Dear god.

Asif farooq

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Did you measure the card by a ruler and found it to be less than 30cm?
If you can post a pic while measuring your card with a ruler, it would be very helpful, Thanks

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Your wish is an order

2014_12_16_22_23_08.jpg

Asif farooq

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Sir thank you so much! It wo so helpful. Im to get this card now!! :D :D Really thank you! One last question though :
Where did you measure this distance from? the holes where you put in the screws for graphics card?

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

The holes you speak of are in the outside of the case, so unless my ruler can go through walls, which I suspect it can't, it's being measured from the inside ;) The ruler is touching the back.

You're more than welcome! Glad I could help.

Asif farooq

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Should i go with the Gigabyte or the Galax Exoc black edition of the card? I havent used a single Galax card ever in my life, so i kind of dont trust the brand. Is it bad? Also the gigabyte version is being imported from Usa so it wont have a warranty, but the Galax is available with 1 year warranty at a local store. What do you think you'd do if you were in my place.
P.s: Sorry, im asking a lot of questions :p

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I've never seen a Galax card either (most likely it's not sold in Brazil), but that doesn't mean it's bad. I would suggest looking for reviews online and discussion topics for that card. See if the card is very noisy, overheats or has any other kind of problem that cards from other brands don't have. Look for multiple sources, since it's partly based on luck: some people get coil whine even with the G1 card while others don't (mine doesn't).
Some brands have a warranty regardless of where in the world you get it from. My Corsair RAM sticks for instance were giving errors in MemTest so I sent them to Corsair in the USA and they sent me back a new stick (this process is called RMA). So research in the Gigabyte website (http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/customer-service.aspx) if you're entitled to RMA it in case of any problems.
If you find out that the Galax card is good, I would get that one instead, it's less trouble.

Asif farooq

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Thank you, Guys like you make tomshardware so helpful. I really appreciate your answers (y)

TRENDING THREADS