Question Will a GIGABYTE RTX 2060 run in this rig

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 21, 2019
The psu is not a very reputable brand, and its only bronze cert. So it really could just be the psu itself. So taking it off the ups and connecting it directly would tell us wether its the psu or the ups causing the 12v to drop.

Man I never had a problem with this psu until the tech told me to get this damn ups. I took it off and it booted up so much faster. I'll run 3dmark now and I'll report soon

Reactions: Jason H.
Man I never had a problem with this psu until the tech told me to get this damn ups. I took it off and it booted up so much faster. I'll run 3dmark now and I'll report soon

I wouldnt really recommend using 3rd party hardware as a gate between your psu and pc/wall oulet etc.

The ups could either be faulty or the psu just doesnt like being connected to it.

Let us know ur results :)

Jun 21, 2019
I wouldnt really recommend using 3rd party hardware as a gate between your psu and pc/wall oulet etc.

The ups could either be faulty or the psu just doesnt like being connected to it.

Let us know ur results :)
I know dude, my instincts were telling me not to do that. Now I'm Removed, I have no money atm to get another PSU. I'm trying to add funds to my PayPal but I can't. My plan was to stick around with this one until I can upgrade to a CX soon. This Removedup everything

Last edited by a moderator:
I know dude, my instincts were telling me not to do that. Now I'm Removed, I have no money atm to get another PSU. I'm trying to add funds to my PayPal but I can't. My plan was to stick around with this one until I can upgrade to a CX soon. This Removedup everything

Well wait, does the psu work properly directly connected to the pc? If so then you could definately get away with just using it until your new one comes in. I just wouldnt push it hard with any overclocking n just keep things at stock for now.

However I ran a 30$ 450w insignia psu on my last rig (bottom of the barrel) for years with overclocks n everything n never had an issue. In fact the fan inside the psu died before the actual psu lol. BUT this is NOT recommended nor would I recommend doing something like that. I only did it because I was on a budget and feeling risky lol.

But yea if the psu is working properly now, then you could definately use it for a bit as it is 550w correct?

Jun 21, 2019
Well wait, does the psu work properly directly connected to the pc? If so then you could definately get away with just using it until your new one comes in. I just wouldnt push it hard with any overclocking n just keep things at stock for now.

However I ran a 30$ 450w insignia psu on my last rig (bottom of the barrel) for years with overclocks n everything n never had an issue. In fact the fan inside the psu died before the actual psu lol. BUT this is NOT recommended nor would I recommend doing something like that. I only did it because I was on a budget and feeling risky lol.

But yea if the psu is working properly now, then you could definately use it for a bit as it is 550w correct?
I don't know man, that's the thing, CAN I? I'm putting 3 new hardware pieces that set me back almost 4k in my currency. I know they can run with a KCAS 500w because some pcs come with that combination. I just don't know if this 12v will get lower on that rig.
Unfortunately I don't have any data from before I got my UPS to cross-check. Only from my broken old kcas PSU that read 12vs as low as 11.4, 11.3. but it still ran my 1060 fine. Just my internet connection was dropping every 5 seconds whenever I'd plug a peripheral

Jun 21, 2019
Watch the language
While gaming it didn't go below 11.8 on games that take about 90% of gpu like Shadow of Mordor that uses about 90% of CPU usage like Crysis 2

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019
Alright so i found on overclockers that the kcas 500 is known to drop to 11.7. I guess the ups just made everything slower but the voltage is still normal. This is not acceptable and I will get a cx550 but for now maybe it can hold the upgrades? What do you think?

Also you should never ever plug an offline uninterrupted Power supply to an active PFC PSU like I told the tech, but he said it was fine. Guess not

But I'll still rely on him to install the hardware. I got no idea if what tools to use​

Jun 21, 2019
Okay so I made a series of posts here and I guess I'm finishing with this one.

My kcas 500w is hitting 11.736v about 32 times Everytime I run 3dmark. I was indicated a Cx550. I read a bunch of bad things about cx series ht I was told it's good.

How good is it? How safe? Is it enough to hold an RTX 2060?

RealBeast

Titan
Aerocool (including the KCAS 500W) is a junk level PSU, every single reputable review of any of their models rate them in the unacceptable category.

I would not attach an RTX 2060 to one of those dumpster fires.

If you want to buy a good PSU, what is your budget and what country/shopping site do you prefer?

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
the 12V supply line from a standard PSU must be checked with a load on the 5V line, at least 1A or 5W.
12V is more a term, than a precise voltage. It is perfect within 11V- 13V, as it is NOT regulated by itself.
It is regulated by the load on the 5V line.

Its much like the 12V system in a car, which has a voltage of about 13.2V when idle and battery is not charged, and the voltage would be some 14.5V when charging during drive.

Agreed, avoid all Aerocool models, especially with a pricy GPU.

The Corsair CX550 would be a MUCH, MUCH better pick with an RTX2060. Most of these bad comments you hear about the CX series is about the old ones (have a green label and came in 500 or 600w variants, not 550). The newer ones are much better.

Jun 21, 2019
Are you guys absolutely sure the cx550 is safe? I don't want the same experience I had with an EVGA 500br that almost Removed my GPU.

Can this hold 16DDR4, i5-9400F and RTX 2060 OC?

Jun 21, 2019
Yes, it can.

The CX550 is FAR superior to the group-regulated EVGA 500BR.

Many reasons why many cheap EVGA models should be avoided.

Alright, i'll trust you guys. I read a bunch of bad things about CX series tho, why's that?
Is there a sheet that i can read how it behaves under heavy load? i.e the Aerocool KCAS 500W under a load of 300W on the 12v rail goes to 11.6 etc

Most of these bad comments you hear about the CX series is about the old ones (have a green label and came in 500 or 600w variants, not 550).
I already explained a possible reason for that.
Is there a sheet that i can read how it behaves under heavy load? i.e the Aerocool KCAS 500W under a load of 300W on the 12v rail goes to 11.6 etc
It shouldn't go down nearly that much unless there is a problem.

Jun 21, 2019
I already explained a possible reason for that.

It shouldn't go down nearly that much unless there is a problem.

I hope so. This KCAS 500W is having 110W drawn from the GPU and hitting 11.7 all the time when that happens. That's unnaceptable.

In essence i'm replacing everything but RAM. But i guess ishould, i have mismatched memory. 8Gb from multilaser and 8 from Kingston. there's a difference of 3 in the tRAS between them.
Other than that and HDD; GPU, PSU, CPU and Mobo are rolling.

the 12V supply line from a standard PSU must be checked with a load on the 5V line, at least 1A or 5W.

That's only true of older/cheaper group regulated units. Newer/better PSUs derive +3.3V and +5V from a DC to DC buck converter coming off the +12V, so "dummy loading" the non-primary rails is not necessary.

Alright, i'll trust you guys. I read a bunch of bad things about CX series tho, why's that?
Maybe old posts from before the newest version of the CX came out? (around five years ago)

Maybe they're fan boys of other brands. Maybe they smoke crack? Who knows.

Saying you've seen "a bunch of bad things" without any context doesn't mean much. That's like saying "I've seen a bunch of bad things about Hyundais" when the last Hyundai I read anything about was a 1995 Excel.

TRENDING THREADS