[SOLVED] Will a GPU being too close to PSU shroud heavily affect thermals?

lusciouss

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
Montech%20Cases-AIR%20100%20LITE-a6.png

Even if the shroud is perforated, that can't be good for the GPU thermals would it? And that's only a 2 slot GPU, what if a 3 slot GPU were used?

Solution
Even if the shroud is perforated, that can't be good for the GPU thermals would it? And that's only a 2 slot GPU, what if a 3 slot GPU were used?
If the shroud was completely perforated, then that's not really any different from how much breathing room a sub-15L case would provide a graphics card. But it looks solid, so it's effectively a wall. While it's not ideal, I don't think it'll cause overheating issues. At least, if you're not trying to stuff a 300W video card in there.

Also it's relatively uncommon for the PCIe x16 slot to be #2. Most other Micro ATX boards would've had it at the top.

PSU shrouds are stupid if you ask me.
If it's a straight-through shroud, I don't think they're stupid as it provides a better...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I'd be more worried about the case not having any front intakes, that's even worse for thermals.
BTW the mobo not having RAM on it and the card not having any power cables just make it better.

PSU shrouds are stupid if you ask me. Same as 100% plastic fronts and oven door glass on cases. And so much RGB LEDs that'd make your room look like a cheap brothel. But that's just me.

If the shroud was completely perforated, then that's not really any different from how much breathing room a sub-15L case would provide a graphics card. But it looks solid, so it's effectively a wall. While it's not ideal, I don't think it'll cause overheating issues. At least, if you're not trying to stuff a 300W video card in there.

Also it's relatively uncommon for the PCIe x16 slot to be #2. Most other Micro ATX boards would've had it at the top.

PSU shrouds are stupid if you ask me.
If it's a straight-through shroud, I don't think they're stupid as it provides a better pathway for air to go through. However, this case has a cutout on the front which I don't agree with.

Solution

lusciouss

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2012
I'd be more worried about the case not having any front intakes, that's even worse for thermals.
BTW the mobo not having RAM on it and the card not having any power cables just make it better.

PSU shrouds are stupid if you ask me. Same as 100% plastic fronts and oven door glass on cases. And so much RGB LEDs that'd make your room look like a cheap brothel. But that's just me.

Yea it's definitely a weird picture lol

If it's a straight-through shroud, I don't think they're stupid as it provides a better pathway for air to go through. However, this case has a cutout on the front which I don't agree with.

It's the Montech Air 100. The shroud is perforated and yeah there is a cutout in the front which seems to be common for matx cases, probably so they could fit in two 140mm/three 120mm fans for the sake of fitting them in. My mobo has card sitting on the 2nd slot which has me on high alert and rather than swapping boards I feel that money would be better spent on an atx tower now...