Will a GPU still render to a lower res second monitor spite its disabled?

Alexandrious1

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
So I have this question been trying to figure out, I currently utilize a 60 inch Samsung 4k TV with my GTX 1080 TI, and a 1080p 24 inch monitor I use when needed, I have the monitor on D-port, 4k on HDMI, if I disable the monitor in O.S, basically telling N.Control Panel or Display settings to completely ignore the monitor, will the GPU still try to render to it, or ignore it? Asking for performance reasons, if performance takes a hit because of the GPU seeing the second monitor and still will render to it, spite its completely off in the settings? Thank-you for any answers.

Solution
I would say no the monitor is passive. I base this on my personal experience with dual monitors. My primary monitor is a 24" gaming monitor, the other is a 55" UHD TV. With the TV input set to the PC monitor, it passively displays the HDMI video signal at the resolution listed in the operating system. If the settings are changed in the operating system display parameters, both monitors will be affected but independently. The individual monitor resolution and refresh rate are adjustable. The primary monitor is adjustable. Plus the active displays are adjustable as both or either individually.

But the point is with both monitors are passively receiving the video signal. The video signal is lost if one monitor is disabled. The...
Edit: I re-read the question a few times. No, if the monitor is off even if still connected the GPU will not push draining power to that second monitor. Not anything noticeable anyway for performance. I run a 1440p monitor with a side 1080p and watch streams with it while gaming with real noticeable performance loss.

I would say no the monitor is passive. I base this on my personal experience with dual monitors. My primary monitor is a 24" gaming monitor, the other is a 55" UHD TV. With the TV input set to the PC monitor, it passively displays the HDMI video signal at the resolution listed in the operating system. If the settings are changed in the operating system display parameters, both monitors will be affected but independently. The individual monitor resolution and refresh rate are adjustable. The primary monitor is adjustable. Plus the active displays are adjustable as both or either individually.

But the point is with both monitors are passively receiving the video signal. The video signal is lost if one monitor is disabled. The monitor is still "on" but will display an error that there is no signal and to check the connection or something similar. It is identical if you were to unplug the monitor cable. But it is not the same as if the power was interrupted.

Also as further evidence, Windows 10 updates the graphics driver periodically. This is always readily evident on my system due to the fact that the Windows graphics drivers are defective in that they have not allowed multiple monitors to be used. The result is the secondary monitor goes completely black. But there is a video signal and the operating system display settings haven't been changed. But since the graphics driver is defective the display doesn't show an image, but there is no error that the signal is lost.

In other words, if the monitors are connected and powered on, they will passively display the video signal.
But from the perspective of the graphics card, a signal has to be generated for it to be displayed on the monitor. If no signal is generated, it is evident on the monitor as such.

Solution