[SOLVED] Will a GT 1030 OC work well?

Feb 14, 2019
My PC is an (old) HP Pavilion Elite with an Intel core 2 quad processor, 8gb ram and a 350 watt ppower supply. I have 100$ at Amazon and saw the Overclocked 1030 as my best option based on reviews and benchmarks. Is there a better GPU i can get for MAXIMUM 100 bucks (not a CENT over)? and if not, will this GPU work well in my PC?

Solution
Yep, it has HDMI as well as Display Port. My friend just said he would sell me his 1050 for 50 bucks tho... so might get that instead. 1050 outperforms these cards and is out of my price range, but the 50 dollars is very good price.
There you go! If you can buy his used GTX 1050 for $50 (and it is not damaged), that would be the best option. It's nearly twice as fast as the GT 1030, and half again as fast as the RX 550.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I presume the Elite is a Mini Tower and not a small form factor or desktop so you can use a full height card and nor be limited to a low profile card, yes?

If so, the GT 1030 is probably the best you can do for $100 tops. Another option would be a refurbished or open box RX 560, which is a bit faster than the GT 1030 in most games. Plus the RX 560 comes with twice the VRAM.

Feb 14, 2019
Yes, it is a decent size case so it should fit! I heard good things about the RX 560 but i couldn’t find any for under 100 bucks. Thanks for he feedback, can’t wait to join the pc master race :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Also, @clutchc which of those 2 would you recommend (if there is any difference)?
Pretty much a tossup at that class of card. The Gigabyte comes with an OC mode for a slight bump in clock speed, the Asus has a "dust resistant" fan (?).
Check out the specs and features of both cards and see if one looks better to you. I kinda like the full shroud on the Gigabyte because it would tend to cool the rest of the card's circuits board better.

I presume your monitor has HDMI, DVI, or Display port.

Feb 14, 2019
Pretty much a tossup at that class of card. The Gigabyte comes with an OC mode for a slight bump in clock speed, the Asus has a "dust resistant" fan (?).
Check out the specs and features of both cards and see if one looks better to you. I kinda like the full shroud on the Gigabyte because it would tend to cool the rest of the card's circuits board better.

I presume your monitor has HDMI, DVI, or Display port.

Yep, it has HDMI as well as Display Port. My friend just said he would sell me his 1050 for 50 bucks tho... so might get that instead. 1050 outperforms these cards and is out of my price range, but the 50 dollars is very good price.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There you go! If you can buy his used GTX 1050 for $50 (and it is not damaged), that would be the best option. It's nearly twice as fast as the GT 1030, and half again as fast as the RX 550.

Reactions: toxicwarrior7
Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The GTX 1050 ran CS:GO at 70 fps in the AM and later only runs at 20 fps!? I presume you haven't moved the monitor's video cable from the card to the iGPU?
How about Fortnite that ran at 100 fps; has it dropped too?
What did you do to the system to cause the drop in fps in CS:GO? Or was the server busier later on?

Look at the nameplate on the computer's PSU. Which one do you have? The 350W?
Which model Pavilion Elite do you have? The m9060n?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure you have the last bios for that cpu from HP, and also any and all chipset drivers for the motherboard. You'll also want to monitor temps on the cpu while gaming for a while or if the pc has been running for a while because those older prebuilts had lousy airflow and little in the way of cpu cooling.

Feb 14, 2019
The GTX 1050 ran CS:GO at 70 fps in the AM and later only runs at 20 fps!? I presume you haven't moved the monitor's video cable from the card to the iGPU?
How about Fortnite that ran at 100 fps; has it dropped too?
What did you do to the system to cause the drop in fps in CS:GO? Or was the server busier later on?

Look at the nameplate on the computer's PSU. Which one do you have? The 350W?
Which model Pavilion Elite do you have? The m9060n?

I didn't move any cables or anything, but fortnite is still hanging around 90-100 fps. As for the PSU, ill have to check in the morning; too tired to go down and look but it is the stock PSU in the prebuilt. Ill look up the model I have and give you more info about the PSU.

Feb 14, 2019
Make sure you have the last bios for that cpu from HP, and also any and all chipset drivers for the motherboard. You'll also want to monitor temps on the cpu while gaming for a while or if the pc has been running for a while because those older prebuilts had lousy airflow and little in the way of cpu cooling.

I looked up my Eureka3 and can't find any drivers for it... or chipset information for that matter. As for cooling, I have MSI Afterburner and I will run some tests tomorrow and check the temps but the cpu is never below 45% use at any time - usually from windows processes like SysMain or error reporting. Also not too sure how to safely update BIOS - never really use it much :)

Edit: found chipset (Intel G43 Express) but there don't seem to be any drivers to download.

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't move any cables or anything, but fortnite is still hanging around 90-100 fps. As for the PSU, ill have to check in the morning; too tired to go down and look but it is the stock PSU in the prebuilt. Ill look up the model I have and give you more info about the PSU.
If the other games aren't affected, then I would assume the drop in fps is CS:GO-related or your CPU can't keep up with all (64?) the players on a full server. That would lower the CPU's ability to keep up with the gfx card even more.

Feb 14, 2019
If the other games aren't affected, then I would assume the drop in fps is CS:GO-related or your CPU can't keep up with all (64?) the players on a full server. That would lower the CPU's ability to keep up with the gfx card even more.
alright, ive been looking at the ryzen 3 2200g or the intel i3 8100 as upgrades... not sure which one to take.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
alright, ive been looking at the ryzen 3 2200g or the intel i3 8100 as upgrades... not sure which one to take.
They are pretty close depending on the game. The i3-8100 may be a bit faster across the board, but not by a noticeable amount. Depending on how much you want to spend, the Ryzen is the better choice for the budget-minded IMO. And the Ryzen's Vega 8 iGPU is about as fast as the GT 1030. You can live w/o a gfx card untill you want to spend the money. With the i3-8100, you'll be wanting a gfx card pretty quick.

Feb 14, 2019
They are pretty close depending on the game. The i3-8100 may be a bit faster across the board, but not by a noticeable amount. Depending on how much you want to spend, the Ryzen is the better choice for the budget-minded IMO. And the Ryzen's Vega 8 iGPU is about as fast as the GT 1030. You can live w/o a gfx card untill you want to spend the money. With the i3-8100, you'll be wanting a gfx card pretty quick.

Since i have the 1050 now... the cpu is the only thing holding me back. I won't need the Vega graphics but from what i'v heard is that the 2200 has overclocking abilities... so if i OC it to the same power as the i3 (or as close as possible) would it be worth it for the cheaper price (and the free cooler XD)?