[SOLVED] Will a GT 1030 OC work well?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 14, 2019
My PC is an (old) HP Pavilion Elite with an Intel core 2 quad processor, 8gb ram and a 350 watt ppower supply. I have 100$ at Amazon and saw the Overclocked 1030 as my best option based on reviews and benchmarks. Is there a better GPU i can get for MAXIMUM 100 bucks (not a CENT over)? and if not, will this GPU work well in my PC?

Solution
Yep, it has HDMI as well as Display Port. My friend just said he would sell me his 1050 for 50 bucks tho... so might get that instead. 1050 outperforms these cards and is out of my price range, but the 50 dollars is very good price.
There you go! If you can buy his used GTX 1050 for $50 (and it is not damaged), that would be the best option. It's nearly twice as fast as the GT 1030, and half again as fast as the RX 550.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, OC'ing the Ryzen 3 2200g will fix the slight performance gap... and then some.
I wouldn't say the GTX 1050 is too weak for the 2200. It is still going to be able to reach its max performance capabilities. Something it might not have been able to do with the aging C2Q.

The bottleneck calculator is easily misunderstood. All that is telling you is that the CPU can handle faster cards. For example, if you bought something like a RX 570 to go with that 2200, you'd have a balanced system. The CPU and GPU would be able to both hit 100% usage.
Btw, the RX 570 has really come down in price if you're interested.

Feb 14, 2019
Yes, OC'ing the Ryzen 3 2200g will fix the slight performance gap... and then some.
I wouldn't say the GTX 1050 is too weak for the 2200. It is still going to be able to reach its max performance capabilities. Something it might not have been able to do with the aging C2Q.

The bottleneck calculator is easily misunderstood. All that is telling you is that the CPU can handle faster cards. For example, if you bought something like a RX 570 to go with that 2200, you'd have a balanced system. The CPU and GPU would be able to both hit 100% usage.
Btw, the RX 570 has really come down in price if you're interested.
That card is sexy... but i cant spend any more money on a gpu - i need to just focus on the cpu. (plus i think that card will hit my ram - its a close fit with my 1050 with 1 fan)

TRENDING THREADS