[SOLVED] Will a GTX 1050/ti run on Windows 10?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I'm looking at upgrading the GPU on an older pc, the 1050 would be enough of an improvement and the 1050ti would be the sweet spot; but I've read some people having problems with them on Windows 10?

Solution
Modern graphics cards want a UEFI bios that an older pc may not have.
If your motherboard has such a bios, you are good.
Possibly a motherboard may have a bios update that allows a uefi card to run.

If you motherboard has only a legacy bios then you need a card that has legacy bios compatibility.
I know there are several such cards out there, perhaps a GTX1050/ti
If you have a particular unit in mind try to find out if it will run on a legacy bios motherboard.
I think the GTX750ti was about the last legacy bios card.

If you motherboard has only a legacy bios then you need a card that has legacy bios compatibility.
If you have a particular unit in mind try to find out if it will run on a legacy bios motherboard.

Reactions: alphacoyle
Solution

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

From Dell: "XPS 8300 is shipped with latest UEFI BIOS" there's also a way to disable UEFI, but for 1050ti (and newer, like 1650 Super) is good?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
From Dell: "XPS 8300 is shipped with latest UEFI BIOS" there's also a way to disable UEFI, but for 1050ti (and newer, like 1650 Super) is good?
Update: Dell states "XPS 8300 does not support UEFI cards.
You can use kepler, maxwell, pascal based cards up to and including 1080TI with proper power supply but you cannot use UEFI Turing based cards aka RTX and 1650 1660." Because "Turing based cards and RTX ATI based cards are not working however due to not supporting MSDOS VESA bios video mode 103. "
I guess this doesn't affect my using a 1050ti (Pascal) but in case anyone ever read this wanted to add this; so no 1650 Super I suppose.

Last edited: