Discussion Will a GTX 1060 fry my entire motherboard?

Jan 30, 2021
I was planning to buy a GTX 1060 6gb for my pc and I wanted to know if it would support and work fine with my motherboard (without frying it obvi)
My current motherboard is zebronis Zeb g31 with 4gb ddr2 ram and intel quad core q6600
The psu I'm using is antec silent continuous 500 watt power supply.

So if Intall a GTX 1060 6gb (which in getting for a really good offers right now and I don't wanna let it go ) will it work fine in my this build. I know it will bottleneck with my processor but I don't mind that...I just wanted to know if my this motherboard and the Power supply work properly with the new GTX 1060 6gb without it buring my pc or running into any problems other than the bottlenecking.

I checked my psu in amazon and many people are saying it works fine with their 1060s and it had no problems.....so isn't the psu good? ...and wat about the motherboard that's what I'm worried about...
here u can check PSU quality tier list, yours can be found in tier D

Jan 30, 2021
here u can check PSU quality tier list, yours can be found in tier D
Oh so I need to buy a new psu to run 1060? What about the Mobo then...it has a pcie x16 version 2 I guess..

D

Deleted member 2720853

It's fine, the main concern here is the PSU not the mainboard PCIe slot. the board just gives 75w power to the pcie slot and once it's in, the GPU is "someone else's problem" AKA the PSU's problem, and CPU's ability to keep up with the gpu.

If you have a trash tier PSU (which yours is unfortunately) a power surge or something may just fry your PSU and everything in your PC. I'd recommend replacing it as soon as you're able to as well as investing in a power surge protected power strip, if you live in an area with such issues. Replace the PSU with something Tier B and above on this list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/

Jan 30, 2021
It's fine, the main concern here is the PSU not the mainboard PCIe slot. the board just gives 75w power to the pcie slot and once it's in, the GPU is "someone else's problem" AKA the PSU's problem, and CPU's ability to keep up with the gpu.

If you have a trash tier PSU (which yours is unfortunately) a power surge or something may just fry your PSU and everything in your PC. I'd recommend replacing it as soon as you're able to as well as investing in a power surge protected power strip, if you live in an area with such issues. Replace the PSU with something Tier B and above on this list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/
So I just change the psu is all?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Person here running 1060 on the same motherboard. Question referring to motherboard on post #5.